gs1100E rough running after storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100E rough running after storage

Help..Just fired up my baby..1983 GS1100E after being stored over winter with Stabil added to her.The bike started fine via choke only. After about 3 minutes off running I could not resist twisting the thottle a bit. I noticed a 'flat spot' between 2000-2500 rpms after which the bike responds fine to additional throttle. I'm kinda miffed as I added stabil and last started the bike in April when it ran fine. Any advice on what is going on and what to do abnout this???
    Thankyou in advance.

Stabil will keep fuel from going bad, it will not keep it from evaporating and leaving goo behind to clog a jet. Next time drain the carburetor bowls before storing it.
    You can put Techron into the fuel tank and see if it cleans the pilot jet, it might work.
    You may have to break the carbs down and dip them.

You started it in April, this is July?
    Long winter up there in Vancouver?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

GS1100e rough running

Thanks Tkent. What is Techron? Is it like Seafoam? Do I just add it to the gas in the tank and run the bike?

Comment

Techron is a gas cleaner/additive made by Chevron and yea, just add it to the tank.

Tom is a lot smarter about this stuff but I'd just strip the carbs down and redip them personally. That way you start from a good baseline the first time.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
        X