Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Spedometer Cable

My speedometer cable broke - I dont know why the bike is only 33 years old

I went to a bike store to pick up a new one. The connector where it screws into the block at the tire is different. There is a bizarre looking screw head at the end of the actual cord that fits into and around the small bit inside of the block.

Is there some type of adapter that Im missing? Or do I need to troll the forums looking for a 30 year old cable?

Z1 should have the right cable. Screws right in.

Comment

If you tell us what kind of bike you have, someone will come along with the link to OEM part #. You can get it from your local dealer or online parts supplier like Boulevard or Partshark.

Comment

Pictures help too !!

Comment

Originally posted by DPage View Post
          If you tell us what kind of bike you have, someone will come along with the link to OEM part #. You can get it from your local dealer or online parts supplier like Boulevard or Partshark.
          To take DPage's suggestion one step further, put your bike info in your signature block and you won't have to remember to tell us. It might help answers flow faster.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Argh I forgot to put the model.

1979 GS 1000

Comment

The straight 1000 (N) and EN are 34910-24500 while the L might be 34860-45110 (as best as I can tell, maybe someone else knows more), and the S cable I cannot locate so someone more knowledgeable will have to speak up for that.

Helps to include the model as well

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by REGonz View Post
                Argh I forgot to put the model.

1979 GS 1000

Why are you misspelling my name?????

When you say the cable broke, did you mean the inner or outer part....or both.?

Usually it is the inner = drive cable that fails and it can be replaced without purchasing the outer sheath
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Well I got a replacement inner cable, the outer sheath is still okay. My inner cable was broken.

NOTE to others: if you go to any bike store and just ask for a speedo cable, the end will NOT WORK with your GS. The cables that are out now seem to pop in, the GS screws in.

That being said - I have another bizarre problem.

The cable spins if Im walking the bike backwards, but moving forwards it doesnt want to move. I went for a ride with the cable sticking up so I could watch it, and it DID spin at one point. So I stopped and screwed it into the assembly on the top of the bike, and yet I got no speed reading. I pulled the cable out again, and it wasnt working. I unwove it from the rest of the cables, and still no spin while going forwards.

With no cable plugged in, I can see the small gear spinning by the wheel when I move it.

Any ideas?

-I DID lube the sheath and cable with cable oil, the same I use for my throttle cable.

Hey Argonsagas, the term I used earlier "argh" was meant as an expression of frustration at my making a simple mistake

Comment

z1enterprises.com
                    Navigate to your make and model. They have 'em. I went through 2 before I realized they key is to spray a lubricant other than WD40 into the speedometer cable plug. I used T-09 on both the Speedo and Tach side and it's running perfectly since. http://boeshield.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.T View Post
                      z1enterprises.com
                      Navigate to your make and model. They have 'em. I went through 2 before I realized they key is to spray a lubricant other than WD40 into the speedometer cable plug. I used T-09 on both the Speedo and Tach side and it's running perfectly since. http://boeshield.com/
                      Into the PLUG? Or just into the cable?

All I did was shoot some of the lubricant into the cabling.

Comment

Speedo cable plug

Saw this thread, and thought maybe it helps answer my question too. I have a 78 GS550 with speedo problems as well. The bike was out of commission for several months, waiting on new tires. Now the speedo is partially working, it gets up to speed and drops down to zero VERY slowly. I think it ultimately gets up to speed (I mounted a gps to the handlebars to use as a temporary speedo) but is clearly not working correctly. I had the bike mechanic shoot some lube down the cable for me when he was replacing the tires, but it doesn't appear to have helped. Do you think I need to put some lube where the cable plugs into the speedo? I'm not familiar with T-09.

Comment

Speedo Problems

So, the Boeshield T-9 in the speedo plug didn't seem to help. I mounted a GPS to the handlebars to check my speed, and while the speedo seems to get up to speed eventually, it is very slow getting there and back again. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Why don't you start your own thread Fcoy2 so people will see and respond. Most folks won't even read this one and relate it to your issue since it's about a speedometer cable.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                            X