Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replace that rubber grommet that seals stator leads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone replace that rubber grommet that seals stator leads?

Has anyone replaced that rubber grommet that seals the stator lead wires through the side of the case? It's the part that keeps the oil from seeping out along the stator wires?

I developed an oil leak this weekend while riding at highway speeds (approx. 75-80 MPH) in 95+ degree heat, for around 2 hrs... I noticed my foot started slipping off the foot peg. I realized there was oil on it, so I stopped & oil was dripping from the bottom of the chain sprocket & stator covers. It was also all along the oil pan as well.

I wiped it down & it appeared to be coming from the shifter shaft seal, but it might also be leaking from under the stator cover too. I didn't pull the covers off yet (I haven't had time), but when I do, i want to be prepared to replace the seals in question, including that grommet.

Has anyone found a place to source those? They are not listed on the OEM parts fiche.

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Its sad but most terribly useful bits like that come attached to a very expensive electrical part.

Got any pictures of the misery?. did you note a significant decrease in oil level for instance?

Comment

Hi,

I seem to recall that one of the members bought a few of those rubber grommets from Rick's Electrics at about $5 each. You'll have to give them a call as they are not listed separately on their website.

In the mean time, you can try using your favorite sticky goo to seal up the leaky grommet (Gasga-Cinch, RTV, etc).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Its sad but most terribly useful bits like that come attached to a very expensive electrical part.

Got any pictures of the misery?. did you note a significant decrease in oil level for instance?
        No, didn't lose that much oil actually, dropped maybe 1/4" on the sight glass.

Once the engine cooled down (as well as the outside temps a bit), I drove it approx. 35 mi home, stopping to check the oil level a couple of times. The leak slowed way down, & it never slicked up my foot peg again.

I suppose a contributing factor was the heat - it was very hot outside & we rode for a couple hours at highway speeds.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

I seem to recall that one of the members bought a few of those rubber grommets from Rick's Electrics at about $5 each. You'll have to give them a call as they are not listed separately on their website.

In the mean time, you can try using your favorite sticky goo to seal up the leaky grommet (Gasga-Cinch, RTV, etc).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Thanks Cliff.

I may very well contact the Rick's people & see if I can buy one of those grommets. I'll let you know if it turns out thay sell them as piece parts.

Mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

That would be me. The part number is RGR 005. It fits perfectly, but it takes patience to install, as the holes in the rubber grommet are small and the wires are sheathed. You will understand when you install it.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              No, didn't lose that much oil actually, dropped maybe 1/4" on the sight glass.
              That is allot of oil coming out of that area for a two hour ride. The position of that grommet doesn't lend itself to have much back there to begin with. You may consider that there is something else going on, you may have a leak there but there is a contributing factor somewhere. I would also look at the starter o-ring.

Comment

Originally posted by bbjumper View Post
                That is allot of oil coming out of that area for a two hour ride. The position of that grommet doesn't lend itself to have much back there to begin with. You may consider that there is something else going on, you may have a leak there but there is a contributing factor somewhere. I would also look at the starter o-ring.
                Yes, I agree, I haven't really torn into it yet (I'm currently traveling this week) but I want to be ready for all possible sources of leaks. My gut tells me it's the shifter shaft seal, or perhaps the seal behind the front sprocket. I'll know more this weekend when I'm able to give it a prpoer look-see.
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  That would be me. The part number is RGR 005. It fits perfectly, but it takes patience to install, as the holes in the rubber grommet are small and the wires are sheathed. You will understand when you install it.
                  Thanks, I'll reference that p/n when I contact them...

Thanks for the info!
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Strange it's not offered by OEM suppliers for your bike. It is for mine, costed $1.60 via GSSuzuki. Part #12 under generator. Would it fit? I haven't used it yet or looked to see if it's meant for the bundle or separate wires. Just throwing this out there but it sounds like there's a good option already.
                    Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                      I developed an oil leak this weekend while riding at highway speeds (approx. 75-80 MPH) in 95+ degree heat, for around 2 hrs... I noticed my foot started slipping off the foot peg. I realized there was oil on it, so I stopped & oil was dripping from the bottom of the chain sprocket & stator covers. It was also all along the oil pan as well.
                      When my '82 750T developed this problem it was fixed with a...

S T A R T E R.....O - R I N G
                      sigpic
                      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post

Yes, this is certainly a possibility... I did replace that o-ring last year when I fixed the starter clutch, but maybe it's toast.

Thanks
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Missile99 View Post
                          Strange it's not offered by OEM suppliers for your bike. It is for mine, costed $1.60 via GSSuzuki. Part #12 under generator. Would it fit? I haven't used it yet or looked to see if it's meant for the bundle or separate wires. Just throwing this out there but it sounds like there's a good option already.
                          Thanks for the info!! I looked at the fiche & that 550 one sure looks like the same grommet as my 1100. I just ordered a couple from my local dealer.

Appreciate the suggestion.

mike
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Mine was leaking like that in the same place,replaced the O-ring on the starter nose and problem solved.Worth checking into.Before dealing with a part i have never seen go funky.My stator wires at that plug had splits, i pulled the wires out ,soldered,heat shrinked twice, and it has never leaked, but that starter oring,ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
                              Mine was leaking like that in the same place,replaced the O-ring on the starter nose and problem solved.Worth checking into.Before dealing with a part i have never seen go funky.My stator wires at that plug had splits, i pulled the wires out ,soldered,heat shrinked twice, and it has never leaked, but that starter oring,ugh.
                              Well, you guys were apparently correct!!

I replaced the starter o-ring today after cleaning off all the oil & associated crud, went for a little ride (maybe 25 mi) and no leak to be seen!!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike
                              '85 GS550L - SOLD
                              '85 GS550E - SOLD
                              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                              '81 GS750L - SOLD
                              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...