Several questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several questions

but first I want to thank everyone that's been beyond helpful in the past. This forum has been a tremendous resource over the past year of having my first bike and not knowing where to start on anything short of an oil change, and even then I've found help on here.

I'm onto the next step of several minor projects. I've tried searching for some answers, but haven't found anything too definitive on these. Not sure if I'm not searching right or what.

1 - I need to put a little travel tool kit together. I know most bikes typically have 3 or 4 wrench sizes that pretty much cover everything. How about with a GS? Seems I've used a several different sizes on my minor jobs. Was curious to what sizes people won't leave home without to fix any issue you may encounter on the road, short of rebuilding the bike of course.

2 - I'm replacing the clutch cable when the new one arrives. I think I know what I'm doing at the lever, but not that sure what to do at the bottom. I haven't toyed with it too much yet, but partly because I don't want to mess anything up. Is it as simple as undoing the cable down on the engine and running a new one? Should I start at one end first with taking it off? How about putting the new one on? Couldn't really find a procedure on the forum or on Cliff's site.

3 - My tach and gas gauges don't work. My 5th gear also doesn't light up. Since there are several things going on, I'm assuming it lies in the gauges and not the individual sensors. (I know the 5th gear light is just a light to replace). Is there an easy way to test the sensors work and confirm it's the gauges? Do these head units ever show up for sale? I look pretty regularly on eBay but never see one, save for a couple shells or one being sold out for parts.

4 - How many miles would you recommend changing the air filter?

Those are my next small jobs to wrap up over the next couple of weekends. Any help or being pointed in the right direction for help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Originally posted by gripweed View Post
    but first i want to thank everyone that's been beyond helpful in the past. This forum has been a tremendous resource over the past year of having my first bike and not knowing where to start on anything short of an oil change, and even then i've found help on here.

I'm onto the next step of several minor projects. I've tried searching for some answers, but haven't found anything too definitive on these. Not sure if i'm not searching right or what.

1 - i need to put a little travel tool kit together. I know most bikes typically have 3 or 4 wrench sizes that pretty much cover everything. How about with a gs? Seems i've used a several different sizes on my minor jobs. Was curious to what sizes people won't leave home without to fix any issue you may encounter on the road, short of rebuilding the bike of course.

8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 and whatever it takes to remove your wheels.

2 - i'm replacing the clutch cable when the new one arrives. I think i know what i'm doing at the lever, but not that sure what to do at the bottom. I haven't toyed with it too much yet, but partly because i don't want to mess anything up. Is it as simple as undoing the cable down on the engine and running a new one? Should i start at one end first with taking it off? How about putting the new one on? Couldn't really find a procedure on the forum or on cliff's site.

Route the new one before you remove the old one, in fact you could leave the old on in place as a spare.

3 - my tach and gas gauges don't work. My 5th gear also doesn't light up. Since there are several things going on, i'm assuming it lies in the gauges and not the individual sensors. (i know the 5th gear light is just a light to replace). Is there an easy way to test the sensors work and confirm it's the gauges? Do these head units ever show up for sale? I look pretty regularly on ebay but never see one, save for a couple shells or one being sold out for parts.

Take it apart, grok it a bit, fix it.

4 - how many miles would you recommend changing the air filter?

When it gets too dusty.

Those are my next small jobs to wrap up over the next couple of weekends. Any help or being pointed in the right direction for help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There's lots of pictures of people's tool kits here.

The clutch cable should be pretty easy (at least it is on my bike). You'll just have to follow the adjustment procedure afterwards. There should be a owners manual or service manual on BassCliff's site, both should have the adjustment procedure. If not, my paper service manual has the procedure, I could type it up for you.

The tach is cable operated, so the easiest check (I think, I haven't done it and am fairly new at motorcycle work so take everything I say with a grain of salt) would be to make sure the cable is still intact. I assume if you disconnect it from the gauge and turn over the engine, you should be able to see something spinning - then you would know which direction to look.

Looking through one of the Suzuki manuals on BassCliff's site, you can test the fuel gauge by connecting the two wires to the fuel sensor together with the ignition set to on. The gauge should move to full.

I think the Suzuki recommended replacement for the filter is 4000 miles, but that's just off memory and my bike doesn't have a paper filter so I didn't pay much attention.

Eric

Comment

My tools

-Cheap $5 socket set.
        -Cheap Adaptable screwdriver kit
        -Zip-ties!
        -small channel-locks.
        -Celox + portable med kit
        -duct tape

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          There's lots of pictures of people's tool kits here.

The clutch cable should be pretty easy (at least it is on my bike). You'll just have to follow the adjustment procedure afterwards. There should be a owners manual or service manual on BassCliff's site, both should have the adjustment procedure. If not, my paper service manual has the procedure, I could type it up for you.

The tach is cable operated, so the easiest check (I think, I haven't done it and am fairly new at motorcycle work so take everything I say with a grain of salt) would be to make sure the cable is still intact. I assume if you disconnect it from the gauge and turn over the engine, you should be able to see something spinning - then you would know which direction to look.

Looking through one of the Suzuki manuals on BassCliff's site, you can test the fuel gauge by connecting the two wires to the fuel sensor together with the ignition set to on. The gauge should move to full.

I think the Suzuki recommended replacement for the filter is 4000 miles, but that's just off memory and my bike doesn't have a paper filter so I didn't pay much attention.

Eric

You are a superb individual.

I have a shop guide, but it's for a '79....everything is very close, but it seems once in a while something is slightly off. Usually enough for me to figure it out though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
            My tools

-Cheap $5 socket set.
            -Cheap Adaptable screwdriver kit
            -Zip-ties!
            -small channel-locks.
            -Celox + portable med kit
            -duct tape
            Not a bad list

add vice grips.

add a cheap set of allen/hex keys.....black ones only, NEVER silver-colour, as they are invariably too weak for any work.

Cables.....pull the inners out of the sheath and check for lubrication. often they dry out and the end spins, but if cleaned thoroughly....cable and sheath,..... then adequately lubricated, it might magically begin to work again!

Tach: often a simple thing quits and that is the drive link at the engine end of the tach cable. There is a tiny fitting there that fits over the cable end and fits into the gear that drives the cable: it comes loose on the cable and can often be repaired by carefully squeezing it tightly onto the cable.

It is usually best to remove it first, clean and dry the end and add a touch of epoxy before squeezing it back together.....note CAREFULLY squeeze it as it will split if pressure is too much or uneven.

The speedo cable is driven from the front wheel and it can become loose and/or misaligned....this is a simple enough check and usually not a difficult repair, and the drive gear, if needed, is usually available on e-bay.

Speedo and tach heads can be fun to repair, as they require patience to disassemble, and even then they might have worn too badly, for various reasons, and need replacing. These are also usually available on e-bay.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Will be looking at it and spending some time this weekend with your tips.

Comment

Working...
              X