Sidestand bracket broke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sidestand bracket broke

Anyone ever have their sidestand break off? It looks like the entire bracket snapped off the frame. Suggestions? Find a good welder?

Oh wow, maybe that's the problem, the PO snapped it and tried re-welding it.

Comment

I don't see signs of rewelding.

I say find a reputable welder, and make sure you aren't overloading the bike. If you regularly ride with alot of excess weight, you may want to discuss gusseting the stand to prevent repeat failure.
      Last edited by four_shot; 07-23-2012, 01:23 PM.
      Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
      1979 GS850GN
      sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
      1975-2008

Comment

Originally posted by four_shot View Post
        I don't see signs of rewelding.

I say find a reputable welder. and make sure you aren't overloading the bike. if you regularly ride with al ot of excess weight, you may want to discuss gusseting the stand to prevent repeat failure.
        I agree with finding a good reputable welder. That could be the result of previous stresses in it's prior life before you,
        like someone sitting and leaning leaning on it may have weakened it, or it may not have been a good weld in the first place. I once saw a video on you tube called "Let me turn it around for you" where a guy pushed his bike back so only the sidestand was touching the ground and then turned it around, that's alot of weight for a sidestand to support.
        Given the function of the sidestand, it's important to have it welded very strong. Hope you don't have too much in the way to obstruct the welding like mufflers and such.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

welder

hi ima still sorta new to the site but im a welder in ohio and i have done those types of fixes before. id look on ebay though my buddy got a new kick for pretty decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by c.wilson View Post
            id look on ebay though my buddy got a new kick for pretty decent price.

The problem is that the tab that the kick connects to on the bike is what broke off. IIRC that tab is welded directly onto the frame. I don't believe he'll have any thing to bolt a new kick onto if he gets a new one.
            Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
            1979 GS850GN
            sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
            1975-2008

Comment

Mostly all Jap bikes from this era have shady welds, in multiple spots.
              My opinion is, it's mostly due to lack of training, or the operators being Rushed, not the equipment.
              Gotta remember, the Big Four all competing against each other and Harley amongst others....sometimes things get rushed or overlooked.

Comment

I would grind down smooth that part of the frame where it was attached too, then strengthen it with a plate wrapped around about half over the tube, then clean the weld on the kick stand and reweld it. Or if you have the $$$ take it to a good machine shop and have them design and build you a better kick stand.

My opinion is alot of the kick stands you see on bikes anymore are barely adequate to handle the weight of the bike on it.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

My side stand too

My 77 550 stand looks just like that. Probably the same guy at the factory. At least he didn't work in engine assembly. Haven't decided how to correct the problem yet. Will present my solution to the group when decided.

Comment

I have turned my bike that way. Guess I should take a close look at the weld if that is what can happen.

Comment

May not be all that bad, I don't know about the 650. on the 1000G the side stand bracket is bolted to the frame, get down and have a look under the bike, you may find the other half still bolted to the frame with two bolts.
                      Just get another off Ebay.

Ok, disregard, the parts fisch seems to show it as part of the frame.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

A good welder should be able to weld that back on no problem... only issue is getting good access to the area.

Weld it, paint it, ride it...
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

It is welded plenty stout from the factory in my eyes...

If you need me to cut this section off so that it can be welded onto your frame let me know as
                          this is from my '81 650G parts bike and it thinks that it is an L model.
                          It wants to be cut.

Eric

Comment

That looks pretty bad. Make sure you do a really good inspection of the frame in that area. If you see anything questionable sand it down and take another look. Someone suggested adding some extra metal for support. I would do that to. Previous owner maybe road away with kickstand down a few times and put a lot of torque on that kickstand to stress it until it finally gave up. Guilty of doing that myself. Mine has a bolt on. Stripped the holes so its welded now.

Comment

Working...
                            X