Clutch shifter rod oil seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch shifter rod oil seal

Has anyone changed out the oil seal on the rod from the clutch to the shifter? I thought my left side engine cover gasket was leaking but now that the new one is in I guess it's that oil seal.

I just wonder how difficult it is to change out. I know it's not expensive.

Thanks

Very common problem on the 450. There is oil pressure feeding the passage though which the push rod passes and when the seal gets weak, you get a leak.

You can change the seal easily enough. There are a couple types/sizes of seals as used by Suzuki, and some members here have had trouble getting the proper type for their bike. Might be best to just order both types so you make sure to get the one you need.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have the same problem with my gs. Did you gt that seal fixed? If so, can you tell me the proceedure for removing the old seal?

Comment

Originally posted by jtwine01 View Post
        I have the same problem with my gs. Did you gt that seal fixed? If so, can you tell me the proceedure for removing the old seal?
        Drill a hole in the old seal, screw in a drywall screw and grip with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Or two holes, one either side.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          Drill a hole in the old seal, screw in a drywall screw and grip with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Or two holes, one either side.
          Good solution Don.

Be sure to flush and blow out the area below the seal as there is a bearing that may catch some of the swarf from the drill bit.
          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Seal won't budge

I tried removing my leaking clutch rod seal today. It didn't go well.
            First I tried using picks to hook it and pull out. It wouldn't budge. So I drilled holes in it to try pulling with screws. I ended up drilling four holes in it, screwing in sheet metal pulling screws, and trying to bump it out with a slide hammer. I pulled the screw through all four holes and the seal didn't budge. I was able to run a clothes hanger wire in one hole and out another. I put a vise grip on both ends of the wire and tried pulling it out that way. I could spin the seal in the bore quite easily but I can't get it pulled out. I was pulling so hard that I was dragging the bike across the floor. What gives? If I can spin it shouldn't I be able to pull it out. Am I missing something here?

Comment

Well, if we knew what kind of bike you had we might be able to help you.
              Go the upper left menu item UserCP and select edit signature. Put your bike(s) in your signature. That way we can answer your questions without having to ask you what bike you ride.

Comment

Ok, I got my signature updated. Thanks to you guys who are helping me out. Obviously I'm new and I appreciate tips on how to best use the site as well as technical information.

Comment

That is O.K. Believe it or not, every single member here started out with post #1.
                  It sounds like you are caught on some sort of lip. I am not familiar with that particular model, but if you look at the parts fiche: Parts fiche there appears to be a plate in front of it, something they call a retainer. You may need to remove that. Do you have the manual for the bike? You can get it here: Cliff's website
                  The procedure is probably there.

Comment

I definitely does seem to be caught on some type of lip or retainer. I did remove the retainer shown in the schematics and I can't visually see anything else that would be getting in the way. It doesn't really make any sense to me. With retainer removed and seal loose, it should pull right out.
                    I have considered heating the aluminum casing around the seal to see if the bore would open up and release the seal. Other than that the only other thing I can think of is to totally destroy the seal and maybe take it out in pieces while trying not to harm the bore it seats in.
                    I haven't messed with it since the other day. I was hoping maybe someone had an idea for me to try.

Comment

That's about the best you can do since you need to replace it anyway.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yup, looks like that's what it's come down to. Next time I have a chance to mess with it again I'm gonna go at it until it comes out.... one way or another.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I'll let you know how it goes

Comment

Well, I got it out. Turns out there is a lip on the back side of the seal that seats into a groove in the case. Check out the pics. This seal went in from the other side and was never meant to come out from the front side! I had to tear it to pieces to get it out. Next order of business - find a seal that without a lip that will work.

Comment

Ordered a seal from Bikebandit. They carried a flanged seal and a non-flanged seal. I ordered the non-flanged. I hope it will work the same. It has an external retainer that will keep the seal from coming out, so the actual seal is all I'm concerned about - fit & seal

Comment

Non-flanged seal in flanged case

I got the non-flanged seal in yesterday. Took it for a short ride and rode it 10 miles today. It sealed perfectly. I am certain that the non-flanged seal will work fine even if your bike came with the flanged type. suzuki part # is 09285-06011. Got it from bike bandit for $7

Comment

Working...
                              X