80s Suzuki Intruders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80s Suzuki Intruders

I have developed a fondness for the look of the 80s era of the Suzuki Intruder. Not the more recent day generic street cruiser look.
    Anyone with info on handling, how hard to get parts for upkeep,...
    anything, any info- thank you.

Two years ago, a friend of mine wnated to get back into motorcycling after a 20ish year hiatus. We found him a 1987 800 Intruder for $600. It ran, but not real well.

I did the "usual stuff" to it (brake flushing, spark plugs, battery, tires, etc...) and he had a pretty decent bike for a total of about $1,200. Many fo the parts on it are borrowed from GSes (brake calipers, fork seals, starter motor, etc...) so most of the "consumable" parts aren't hard to find. It was about the smoothest V-Twin I've ever ridden, and quiet too.

If you want something for crusising around town on, it's fine. I wouldn't want to ride it for more than an hour or so, especailly at highway speeds.

By the way, Grand Rouge, it came from the factory with a choice of either apehanger bars or flat drag bars. I agree the drag bars were indeed much more practical.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks yall. I found one in Leeds that Needs some TLC for $700. Might go take a spin. They say it runs.

Comment

Been thinking about one of these as well.
        I kinda like the Shadows too.

Comment

Intruder 1400s were made for 20 years with hardly any changes - I had an 88, now have a 1993, both the four-speed. Tons of parts available, lots of aftermarket pipes.

A little hard to work on because Suzuki hid everything that didn't look nice inside - result is a great looking bike.

Just did 1500kms, laid back seating position does require frequent stops, handling good and stable but I found it harder to ride in the dark on unfamilar roads, does NOT like bumpy roads either.

Was getting 50+ mpg (Imperial gallon). Bonus - no valve adjustments it's got hydraulic lifters!

By far the best looking of the Japanese cruisers.

Dave

Comment

Working...
          X