Ray's first 4 baby steps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray's first 4 baby steps.

My master told me to do these 4 things to my 1981 GS1100E.

#1 Carb rebuild with new orings
    Q: Which rebuild kit should I get. Is there one better then the other?
    I'm getting help in this post: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=197372
    Will get O rings from here: http://www.cycleorings.com/ . Thank you JEEPRUSTY

#2 Oil & Filter change

Q: Oil filter: I was thinking of getting the stainless one? see: http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...showprevnext=1

Q: What oil should I get? full syn.

#3 valve adjustment with new valve cover gasket

#4 carb sync
    I was thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Syn.../dp/B004MSE9JO

Q: The previous owner mentions that he was going to change the timing chain.
    Should I do it before I adjust the valves or could I do it this winter?
    It has 45000 km's / 25,476.219 mi.

NB.I will keep this post updated with relevant information so not to have to read every single post.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM.

Was this for your Land Rover or the Jaguar?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it's the Mercedes or BMW......

Comment

You are being mocked because you have not provided your make year and model of bike.

You can create a signature file with this information by entering the link for "User CP"

I have "rebuilt" my carbs and never needed any kit aside from new O-Rings. I purchased mine from http://www.cycleorings.com/ This is a service provided by a GSR member named Robert Barr.

Oil should not be an issue. Stay away from magical oils and buy the correct viscosity for your bike. Rotella is a Shell Oil brand that is used by a lot of guys on the forum. You can get it fairly cheaply at Canadian Tire and Walmart.

So there is the OIL and the Carbs.
        I have no idea what a stainless steel filter is.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Oups I just had a blond moment

It's a 1981 GS1100E.

Main post #1 edited/updated.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            I have no idea what a stainless steel filter is.
            A device for filtering molten stainless steel?
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by c&c View Post

Q: The previous owner mentions that he was going to change the timing chain.
              Should I do it before I adjust the valves or could I do it this winter?
              It has 45000 km's / 25,476.219 mi.
              It is not routine to change the chain at such a low mileage.....it will probably be well within service limits, at twice that. If it makes you comfortable, the manual illustrates a method to check for stretch, which could be done when you have the cover off for the valve check/adjust. I don't readily recall the manual-recommended mileage for replacement, but one of the gurus here will probably know it, off hand.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

OK, now we can respond somewhat intelligently.

#1 Carb rebuild with new orings
                Q: Which rebuild kit should I get. Is there one better then the other?
                I'm getting help in this post: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=197372
                Not sure what help you are finding in that thread. What you need is found on BassCliff's site or in Nessism's signature.

#2 Oil & Filter change

Q: Oil filter: I was thinking of getting the stainless one? see: http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5118397&showprevnext=1
                I must admit, I have never seen such a device. Not sure why you would want one, either. It is possible to get filters on eBay for $6.16 each (3 for $18.48 and free shipping), meaning that you can get about 16 of them for the price of the stainless one. Personally, I would go for the satisfaction that I threw away any filtered crud, rather than wonder if I merely swished it around or put it on the other side of the filter.

Please reconsider. Not only would those gauges be very hard to use, they actually cost a few dollars more than the highly-preferred Morgan Carbtune. It comes from England, so the price can vary with the exchange rate on a day-to-day basis. Today, it is about $102, including the case and shipping, which is a pretty good deal. I have seen it at a low of about $90, but also at a high of about $135, so grab one while you can at a decent price.

Oh, there is no need to constantly update the original post. Most of us will hit the "View First Unread Post" button and go straight to the end. If you only update the first post, we will never see it.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Once again, New Members, CLICK HERE!!

Follow all the links. Read the "mega-welcome" and the maintenance lists contained therein. (Each item in the maintenance lists must be properly addressed.) Then visit my little website and read the maintenance guides for carb cleaning, oil changing, valve adjustment, etc. Then follow the links to the carb sections, the electrical section, the engine section, etc, and you will find lots of tips and tricks, charts and specs, and maybe even a service manual. Keep us informed.

I usually order 10 oil filters at a time for about $35. Check for vendor deals.

For that price you can buy a Morgan Carbtune to synchronize your carbs. It's the best.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Looks Like I'll be busy for a while before I can get her on the road.

Comment

Working...
                    X