Floppy Leavers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy Leavers

1983 GS1100E-Both my clutch and front brake leavers vibrate uncontrollably when bike is at idle. At higher RPMs they don't. Are there bushings or washers that I can replace to snug things up some on the leavers?Thankyou.

Never really noticed if mine vibrates or not. If they did, I probably wouldn't care much anyway, but surely you can tighten the bolts the levers are sandwiched in. I would think if the clutch cable pulled tight that would snug things up up a bit.
    Next time I ride I'll have to check that out as far as the vibrating goes.
    I do know the glass in my mirror does, but I'll eventually replace those also.
    sigpic
    Steve
    "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

I just bought a brand new Suzuki clutch lever & it vibrates too. Tightening the bolt won't do any good. I have been searching for a more modern set of adjustable clutch & brake levers but to no avail. I guess we live with it.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Might try getting some "wave washers" at the hardware store to put in the space above the lever.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Had that on a couple of Yammies over the years and I made washers/shims out of the plastic from milk jugs or food containers (i.e. margarine, cheese, icream etc.). Just thick enough to tighten things and somewhat self lubricating as it were.

You might need to experiment to find the right thickness and whatever you use there should, of course, be some play and no binding.

Luck,
          spyug

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
            I have been searching for a more modern set of adjustable clutch & brake levers but to no avail.
            GS750...some guy on the forum posted these pics a while back.
            I have info on them somewhere, maybe I can find later.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Are you using mirrors that mount into the lever pulls?

Until today I had a similar problem, where the levers would vibrate like mad when idling, and at some other RPMs too.

Today I swapped mirrors to some Napoleon Style bar ends, (because I wanted to see behind me better ) but when riding I noticed that my levers didn't vibrate anymore.

I don't know whether it was because the mirrors act as a bar end weight, and dampen the vibration, or the old stalk mirrors would AMPLIFY the vibrations into the levers, but for some reason it is fixed now.

Comment

Working...
              X