No announcement yet.

Carbs leak through over flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i have carbs 4 and 2 that spit out fuel after shut off, i think its def a carb issue, gonna order the necessities and give them a good cleaning!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Lee View Post
      I have a 1979 GS-850G that I just finished with a complete top end, carb rebuild, and Dyna Electronic Ignition job. Runs great, BUT it appears I need to rebuild the petcock as well. It spits gas back out through the over flow tubes two or three times after shut off. Does that sound like a petcock problem? What is the Dreaded 80's Petcock problem? Is that what I might have? What the recommended solution?

ALSO, I replaced my starter while I had the carbs off and now - even before - it just clicks sometimes and other times it kicks right in when I hit the button. Could this be my button is in need of repair, cleaning, or replacement? Other possibilities?
      Hi Denny,The 80 petcock has no lever.You may want to start your own thread and you will prob get more help.
      Andy
      http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
      1978 GS1000C
      1979 GS1000E
      1980 GS1000E
      2004 Roadstar

Comment

One thing I did see, is the inline fuel filter you have, one thing I found on those filters is on a gravity fed fuel system they tend to restrict the flow of fuel. I've tried one like yours and some others and eventually had to remove them all. And yeah, the vacuum petcock is a piece of junk, I think I have 4-5 laying in a parts box. I'm still looking for a replacement for it, Z1 may have it.
        Last edited by mrbill5491; 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

oh ok, ill lokk into Z1 thanx mrbill5491

Comment

My bike sat for 25 years. When I got it running last fall, it leaked through the overflow tubes, about a half tank over a weekend. I replaced the needle & seat assemblies to no avail. I finally bought a set of floats. This cured the problem. Floats, especially the foam type, will gain weight over time and become less buoyant. This was common in automotive carburetors and a replacement float was normally included in a rebuild kit.
            Floats cost about $25 each. Also installed full size automotive fuel filter to catch any varnish chunks that could get under the needle. The little small engine type plugged too fast. The Filter is the old Mopar style, clear, about 1 1/2' dia. x 2" long with 5/16" ends.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

My glass fuel filter, Do you recommend a specific site for a complete carb rebuild?

Comment

Working...
              X