Is it necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it necessary?

is it necessary to fully disassemble the fork to change the seal or it is ok to leave the inner tube and just slide the seal from the top ?

I saw it on the basscliff website and as I dont have the special tool it would be awesome !

Technically it's not "necessary", but it sure makes inspecting the other internal part a whole lot easier.

You have an extra $6 or so? You can make your own "special tool".

Two feet of 1/2" all-thread rod and four matching nuts, available at Lowe's, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, etc.

Assemble with 3/4" to 1" sticking out the end, lock the nuts together.
    When you insert it into the fork leg, put your wrench on the inner nut to hold the tool from turning.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you're going to the effort of changing seals, you really should dissassemble and clean everything IMHO. Especially if this hasn't been done in goodness knows how long. Its not that difficult and with the Steve tool very easy. Even easier if you have access to a "rattle gun" as the initial torque will break the hold of the thread locker on the bolt.

One alteration some of us have made to the Steve tool to make it easier to hold steady is to weld on a "T" handle using some extra rod. If you empty the oil out, insert the tool, step on the handle and hold the whole gubbinsd verticle clamped between your knees it makes it a peace of **** ( official Limey saying ) to get things lossened off.

Good luck.
      Spyug

Comment

If you have enough extensions you don't even need the "special tool".A reversed plug socket at the end worked for me.Another vote for do it all,fork oil gets manky fast.

Comment

NICE steve I was looking for a super extension to my wrench but this will do the thing, I am planing to do it during the week!
          You were all helpful guys thanks again

Comment

I can't remember the last set of forks I couldn't split just using a broom handle to stop the thing spinning. Except for the time when I couldn't find the broom so I used a hoe handle instead
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X