Fouled spark plugs/ lost of smoke in exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fouled spark plugs/ lost of smoke in exhaust

So I recently bought an 81 gs650e at a garage sale. The thing ran great for about a week then started to have idle issues. Thinking all the while it was the carbs and a fuel issue until yesterday. I pulled all the spark plugs to find them black with trace amounts of oil on them. So I replaced them and the bike fired right up and ran great for short ride down the road. Then it fell right back into the same issues it was having before. I think I have oil leaking into the pistons? Would any concour? What is my next step to get it running again? Or is it even worth it?

You should post pics of the bike, and the plugs.

Put your location in your profile, someone may be nearby to help.

tkent may be able to tell you that fixing that 81 GS650E is not worth it. He is a saint and may be able to take it off your hands.

Comment

You are keeping oil at proper level (checking when cold on centerstand?) are you adding any ? You need to consider maintenance rather than just ride briefly-it was at the garage sale probably for trouble you are experiencing. Could be a PO's bad work on carbs, or maybe a faulty petcock or bad valve stem seals, etc. What's the mileage?

Take a peak at this link....

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes check your oil level and make sure it is not full of gas. Smell it , sounds like it may be over full, meaning fuel related problems
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Issues

So it does appear that the oils is a bit over the limit. I will bleed a bit of it off... When I checked the oil it did smell like there is gas mixed in with it.

I am not sure if the previous owner knew about these problems. It was an old man who had it sitting in his garage for a while.

I live in Fairbanks, AK by the way. And I will post pictures soon.

I am considering of just getting rid of it at this point. It was going to used as a commuter for he summer, but now winter is on its way and I have no shop to work on it. If anyone is in the area and is interested let me I know.

Comment

Sounds like a little lov'in and it could be a good bike . Don't run it like that, run could ruin it . At least change the oil don't just drain it off the gas will kill the motor like that. Then you need to determine what is bad , my guess is fuel petcock , or float level and dirty carbs. All in all under 100. in parts and a few hours labor you are good to go. Also post your location and maybe a local member would be willing to help you.
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I recently replaced the peacock and ran some seafoam through the carbs. I will change the oils and go from there. What would cause gas in the oil?

Comment

Originally posted by samthomp85 View Post
                I recently replaced the peacock and ran some seafoam through the carbs. I will change the oils and go from there. What would cause gas in the oil?
                Was it a new petcock? Did you (or other guy) leave petcock on prime spot too long- should be left in "ON" or "RES" spot so gas only flows when bike is running. Left on prime, it can overfill carbs and run down into crankcase and dilute the oil; then when you fire it up again, the hot gas evaporates taking some of the oil with it.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do not start that engine with gassy oil. Change oil and filter.

Comment

Worst case scenario

This is a worst case scenario, not necessarily your actual problem:
                    The bike sat and accumulated condensation in the two cylinders that were at the bottom of their stroke. Rust pits evolved. The compression rings will travel past the pitted area and not be affected. The oil ring is a three piece assembly. and the two wipers are thin. The wipers will become damaged and the smoking starts. If this is the case, ring replacement by itself will not cure the problem. The cylinders will need a major over-bore or replacement. Experience speaking here. My GS1000 is now an 1100 due to the 3.5mm over-bore.
                    I haven't any idea as to what is available, maybe 750 pistons? A gasket kit shouldn't be over $100. Do a tear down and see, if nothing else works. The Rust pits ,if any, will be on the front 1/3 of the cylinder. The low spot when sitting. Boring should cost about $60 per hole.
                    I hope this helps.

Comment

Well if you werent all the way in Alaska I'd take her off your hands. I'm going to be rebuilding mine this winter anyway. The bike isn't worth shipping though. Great bikes, but they just dont have the value like a Cooley.

Comment

Working...
                      X