Did I buy the wrong grips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I buy the wrong grips?

I changed the grips yesterday because I was tired of having black palms after riding. After reading several positive reviews for progrip grips I picked up a set locally. I like them. They are comfortable and level of tackiness doesn't require such a tight squeeze.

My question is: What are people doing about the 'inboard' side of the throttle tube? The retaining flange is now exposed because the grip does not have a provision for wrapping around it the way the factory one does.

Here is what I have. Did I buy the wrong model of grip, or did I not install the grip correctly?

Thanks for any input,
    Chris

that is common with aftermarket grips, there is nothing wrong,and they are fitted correctly.mine are like that and if you trawl through the millions of pics on the site with bikes having fitted these grips, you will see there is a lot of other bikes the same
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The grips are fine. Like Agemax said many aftermarket grips will do this.

If it really bothers you, I suppose you could shorten the throttle tube by 1/4 inch OR LESS and then the grip would have the clearance to cover the flange. If it really bothers you.

Comment

I had the same problem with aftermarket grips, the grips looked OK, they were on the bike when I got it, baseball bat sponge rubber ones. They were too thick for me anyway. Had a hard time holding on under hard acceleration. So I went to stock grips and bought a new throttle tube with grip installed so I wouldn't have to fight getting a new grip over that throttle tube end.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

OK, good to know. I figured the problem was mostly aesthetic, but if there was a simple trick that I could do, I didn't want to miss it. I'm not bothered enough to modify the tube, I just didn't want the cool kids to make fun of me behind my back.

Thanks, guys.

Comment

I took a dremel and shaved down that angled piece of plastic, shaved down all the ridges in the tube, and cut off the tip to fit bar end mirrors. Then used clear spray paint to "glue" on the new grips.

worked like a charm.

Comment

mine looks exactly like that too. my progrips feel great though

Comment

Working...
              X