1980 GS550 w/sidecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550 w/sidecar

Someone local to me has this for sale at a decent price (I think). Includes a Velorex sidecar (at least that's what I think it is - the seller doesn't know). The bike itself was supposedly his daily rider until it developed an oil leak. It now has some carb issues after his attempt at repairing the oil leak.

So here's the question - parts availability seems to be an issue for these bikes as far as I can tell (been checking the 'net). I don't want to have to go out and buy a whole parts bike every time I need a hose or something. Assuming I can square away his bike's issues, are these bikes worth messing around with for the long haul? Anyone have any sidecar experiences with the 550 model? I know it only has around 49hp, but I'm not looking to do anything crazy besides hauling the kids or dog around on it (really want a Ural, but oh well). He's asking $2000 for the bike and sidecar, sidecar is probably worth almost that much by itself. I just don't want to end up with a few hundred pounds of useless bike in my garage if I can't get what I need for it.

Thanks!

I don't know where you are looking for parts , but they are readily available and a good percentage of them directly from Suzuki, most all your motor parts ect are available, maybe some stuff isn't but not that much. Z1 enterprises has most all your general maintenance stuff in stock. side covers and body parts are a used purchase but still alot of stuff out there. As far as a good bike the 550 isn't overly powerful but a real good and durable bike. Don't know how well it would handle the sidecar but as long as you weren't in a real big hurry I'm sure it would do OK.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
    X