Feeler guage markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler guage markings

Okay people, I am totally confused. The valve clearance on my 750 is supposed to be 0.03-0.08 mm or .0012-.0031 in. My feeler gauge set has nothing close in metric or inch readings. What should the feeler guage read? I must be getting old cuz this used to be easier when I was young!

Well, you already said what it should read.

What does your set have?

If you have an INCH set of feelers, you will see .0015, .002, .0025, .003, .004, etc.

You will only be interested in the .0015 through .003.

There might be metric equivalents printed on the feeler, but they are made to INCH specifications, so stick with those numbers.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
      Okay people, I am totally confused. The valve clearance on my 750 is supposed to be 0.03-0.08 mm or .0012-.0031 in. My feeler gauge set has nothing close in metric or inch readings. What should the feeler guage read? I must be getting old cuz this used to be easier when I was young!
      That .03 mm is really hard to find. It's super thin, almost feels like aluminum foil. I checked Sears and several other suppliers looking for one and couldn't find a set that included that size. If a .0012" guage won't fit but the shim still rotates freely, then it's time to put in a thinner shim and you'll end up with clearance within spec. If the shim won't rotate freely without the gauge in place, then you have no clearance and you need a thinner shim ASAP! Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Z1 has good ones.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Z1 has good ones.
          True, but doing a search at Z1 for "feeler" shows just one metric set, and it only goes down to .04mm. None of their inch sets go below .002".

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Amazon has them.Mine starts at .02mm and boy it is thin.
            http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
            1978 GS1000C
            1979 GS1000E
            1980 GS1000E
            2004 Roadstar

Comment

Got it! I do have the super thin .0015 and .003. I thought those were too thin and I was making a mistake somewhere. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by rwcfrank View Post
                Got it! I do have the super thin .0015 and .003. I thought those were too thin and I was making a mistake somewhere. Thanks for the help!
                No, those are your MIN and MAX.

When you go to record your clearances in the spreadsheet, if your .0015 feeler does not go in, enter a "1" in the spreadsheet, it will trigger the "too small" warning and tell you what shim you need (after you tell it what shim is in there now).

For those that are commenting on how thin the feelers are, remember that .08 mm or .003" is the thickness of a piece of paper, and that is the MAX clearance.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Bikemaster markets a set of metric feelers that goes down to .03mm. You can find a black Bikemaster tool display in most metric motorcycle shoppes, or check with your favorite online purveyors or moto-goodies.

As noted above, it's really not needed -- if a clearance is .04 or .05mm, I'm changing that shim. Clearances up to .10mm are perfectly fine -- you don't even hear any extra noise.

Most bikes run much larger clearances -- for example, on my V-Strom, intake clearances are supposed to be .10 - .20 mm, and exhaust .20 - .30mm.

On my KLR650 (liquid-cooled, but a shim-over-bucket system very similar to the GS), the intakes are .10-.20mm and the exhausts .15-.25mm.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                  X