Headlight ears for an '80 1100E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight ears for an '80 1100E?

The fiberglass housing for my headlight is cracked pretty badly. For now it stays put with that little Vetter fairing on, but I'd REALLY like to ditch it. I took a look on BikeBandit and an OEM replacement is $90!! While I could just pick one up from somebody parting out an 80/81 1100E, I thought I'd ask about installing some ears from an L model instead. Can it be done? I mean a standard square E model headlight bolted into an L model set of ears? I'm not sure which route I am going to go if it will bolt up, just trying to get a handle on my options.

Somewhat unrelated P.S. - Is there a swap list somewhere on these boards that lists what can work with other models? I did a search, but maybe I was using the wrong terms? Something that lists if you can use a 19XX GS750 "widget" on a 19XX GS1000, or a 19XX GS1100 "widget" a 19XX GS850? I know you can always check the microfiche and verify numbers, but a quick cross-reference list might be a nice to-have. I guess I could always type one up in a spreadsheet if no one's done it already?

EX: Starter motor, OEM part # XXXX-XX, works on 1979-1981 GS850s, 1980-1982 GS850 E and L, 1980-1981 GS1000s, and 1980-1981 GS1100Es (not L models).
    (I know the above isn't right, it's merely here as an example)
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2012, 10:36 PM.

look for a product called problem plastic,that stuff is awesome sandable and paintable and stonger than fiberglass.I have used it for very succesful tab and plastic repairs.Mind you it is not cheap.but if unable to find a replacement part for a reasonable price,i go that route.I evem have used "quicksteele"and similiar products for fiberglass and plastic repairs succesfully.

Comment

Working...
    X