Swingarm and steering bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm and steering bearings.

SO, i found out thru parts fiches that the stearing bearings and swingarm bearings are the same for a 1985 gs550L and a 85 gs1150.So, i took the bearings out of the 3k mile 550L i have been stealing parts from.
    I bought the bike for 200 no title,,The total now for parts used off this comes to about 600 bux,what a seriouse score, i am stoked.
    I have used,the stator,starter,R/R which i then replaced with a honda,a few cables for when i cunstom built some bars to sit more upright,The headlight,Some bulbs,the tailight for my 4 wheeler,the front caliper for my 4 wheeler,and variouse other bits.
    Not too bad,Cause honestly this GS1150 has been going downhill in its handling.

The swing arm bearings are the same?? you sure, I know the swing arm bearings between my 750 and the 1100 are different, being the 1100 uses a larger pivot bolt. Knowing the 1150 had tons more power then a 550, I would look again.

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
    SO, i found out thru parts fiches that the stearing bearings and swingarm bearings are the same for a 1985 gs550L and a 85 gs1150.So, i took the bearings out of the 3k mile 550L i have been stealing parts from.
    I bought the bike for 200 no title,,The total now for parts used off this comes to about 600 bux,what a seriouse score, i am stoked.
    I have used,the stator,starter,R/R which i then replaced with a honda,a few cables for when i cunstom built some bars to sit more upright,The headlight,Some bulbs,the tailight for my 4 wheeler,the front caliper for my 4 wheeler,and variouse other bits.
    Not too bad,Cause honestly this GS1150 has been going downhill in its handling.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Triple checked it,the swingarm Bearings are in and a huge difference too,The sleeve however is a bit different,mine were in good enuff shape i reused them,I thought it funnt tho i didn't feel a huge difference in play.But the click when starting out is gone.
      But like building a house,1/8 inch at a foot grows really fast at 12 feet.
      came don ill and havn't done the steering bearings yet.

Comment

This only works with the later 550. The earlier ones have different bearings.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Why not just buy new bearings?They surely can't cost too muich and come with free peace of mind.
          Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
          2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Comment

my steering bearings looked like this,compliments of Steve for the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline_Racing View Post
                Why not just buy new bearings?They surely can't cost too muich and come with free peace of mind.
                Why buy them when i have a parts bike with 3k miles?I make 8.50 an hour and the wife is diseabled.I am not far behind her.
                I now have over 2k in her as it is.not counting 500 in parts taken off this 3k mile parts bike that i payed 250 for.
                Steering bearings got done today,HUGE improvement.

Comment

Yup,40 mile road test rode hard,no more tank slapping only lets lose in corners due to tire letting lose,these skinnies arn't that fun.someday i find a parts bike to do the swap for a wider front n rear tire.

Comment

Working...
                  X