No announcement yet.

Sat for 2 months, now it won't idle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally had time today to try the seafoam. I only had about a gallon and a half of fuel in my tank....I added about half of the seafoam can. It started right up with the choke all the way out. Still wouldn't let me give it any throttle until it was warm, at which point it would only let me give a little throttle w/ the choke all the way out.

Finally got it moving, but it still wouldn't idle, or even stay running if I let off the throttle. If I completely let off the throttle while moving (3rd gear, 40mph) it would pop/back fire. It would pop/backfire again when I gave it a little throttle. As I continued to give it more throttle, the engine did nothing until ~ 1/2 throttle, as which point the RPMs would take off. Pretty difficult to ride, since the engine would die every time I tried to stop unless I kept the RPMs above 4500.

Looks like I'm pulling the carbs...........bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by ssanderson1 View Post
      Finally had time today to try the seafoam. I only had about a gallon and a half of fuel in my tank....I added about half of the seafoam can. It started right up with the choke all the way out. Still wouldn't let me give it any throttle until it was warm, at which point it would only let me give a little throttle w/ the choke all the way out.

Finally got it moving, but it still wouldn't idle, or even stay running if I let off the throttle. If I completely let off the throttle while moving (3rd gear, 40mph) it would pop/back fire. It would pop/backfire again when I gave it a little throttle. As I continued to give it more throttle, the engine did nothing until ~ 1/2 throttle, as which point the RPMs would take off. Pretty difficult to ride, since the engine would die every time I tried to stop unless I kept the RPMs above 4500.

Pilot jets are plugged almost certainly. I like Seafoam as a semi-regular additive but for this job I would have done the Berryman's. Its very tough stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ssanderson1 View Post

Now that you got seafoam in your carbs, letting it sit with it in might allow things to loosen up. I'd give it another run before ripping out the carbs.
        What's the worse that could happen? it doesn't work and you pull your carbs.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          Now that you got seafoam in your carbs, letting it sit with it in might allow things to loosen up. I'd give it another run before ripping out the carbs.
          What's the worse that could happen? it doesn't work and you pull your carbs.
          I agree, nothing to lose by being patient. Bike will run poorly until most of Seafoam is consumed.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            I agree, nothing to lose by being patient. Bike will run poorly until most of Seafoam is consumed.
            I have used Seafoam in the past, I now use StarBrite StarTron. I also have some marine Stabil but haven't used it yet, and I may never, I need to read up on it to make sure it has a cleaner, otherwise I'll stick it in the lawnmower or something. I know that StarTron treats the gas for ethanol, but it has a cleaner in it also. So far, so good. But I learned that if I'm going to put gas in it, I either need to put the StarTron in it first or ride it a bit after I put gas in it and StarTron later. Reason being, I need to ensure that whatever gas sits in those carbs has the StarTron in it. Simply putting gas in it, then riding it for a spell, then putting the conditioner in the gas only to let the bike sit will treat the gas, but what about what's already in the carbs? That conditioner won't get to the carbs unless you run out some of that fresh gas.
            sigpic
            Steve

Comment

Just checked and Marine Stabil does have a cleaner in it, so I'll be checking it out eventually. I generally let my wallet pick the product, which means, all things considered equal, I go with the least expensive (Cheapest!)
              Pick your poison,

Seafoam

Star Tron,

StaBil,
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

Ole Skool
                I have used ChemTool B-12 in my tank and it cleans good!!!!
                Most cleaners have petroleum distillated in them ( oil dirivitive ) but ChemTool has
                Toulene in it .
                Jim

Comment

Old Skool
                  I had a friend that was a service writer for a chev. dealership and they bought ChemTool B-12 in 30 gallon containers and used this to clean fuel injectors on cars and it really cleans carbs and stuff from the tank
                  Most gas after sitting up trys to go to the varnish state of dormancy though so give this a try
                  Can't stand Seafoam...made my car and bike sputter...ChemTool B-12 also comes in a small can too
                  This can also be used to clean small parts
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jammy5152 View Post
                    Old Skool
                    I had a friend that was a service writer for a chev. dealership and they bought ChemTool B-12 in 30 gallon containers and used this to clean fuel injectors on cars and it really cleans carbs and stuff from the tank
                    Most gas after sitting up trys to go to the varnish state of dormancy though so give this a try
                    Can't stand Seafoam...made my car and bike sputter...ChemTool B-12 also comes in a small can too
                    This can also be used to clean small parts
                    Jim
                    Is this the stuff, and are you saying that you tip this into the tank and run with it?

Says 15 oz can. on the ebay add
                    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I'm just trying to get something to dip my carbs and I cant find Berrymans carb dip anywhere, that place will post to UK. I don't know of any carb dip solvent we can get in UK, it is as you say strip it and scrub. I found a cheap Ultra sonic bath on ebay but it still needs a solvent to attack the varnish.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Tatu
                        yes...that is it........clean gas and half bottle in tank...run around for a while to clean
                        Jammy5152

Comment

Drain old gas from tank... Fresh gas, bunch of Seafoam.. get it going & ride it! Don't stop riding it till it clears! It's going to take at least 4-5 miles of riding minimum (& not at one throttle position, you have to be good at juggling the throttle to keep it going at lights etc).

My friend used to regularly have this problem with his Honda, he'd let it sit for 3-4 months at a time etc.

He also used "Gum out - Max strength" a lot, he said it was the best one but I don't think he'd tried Seafoam.

If you search on here there used to be a video (if it wasn't deleted when he was banned) of Eric running a bike that had been sitting for years on neat seafoam from a temporary tank straight into the carbs... he said it worked great for a short term fix or a "sitter" like yours. Not tried it myself.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Drain old gas from tank... Fresh gas, bunch of Seafoam.. get it going & ride it! Don't stop riding it till it clears! It's going to take at least 4-5 miles of riding minimum (& not at one throttle position, you have to be good at juggling the throttle to keep it going at lights etc).

My friend used to regularly have this problem with his Honda, he'd let it sit for 3-4 months at a time etc.

He also used "Gum out - Max strength" a lot, he said it was the best one but I don't think he'd tried Seafoam.

If you search on here there used to be a video (if it wasn't deleted when he was banned) of Eric running a bike that had been sitting for years on neat seafoam from a temporary tank straight into the carbs... he said it worked great for a short term fix or a "sitter" like yours. Not tried it myself.

When I restarted my 750 after sitting for 12 years with half a tank of 12 year old gas. I disconnected the fuel line, ran it til it used up the gas in the carbs. Then filled the line with carb cleaner slowly until the bowls were full and ran it again til it stalled. Up to the gas station and topped up the old gas with new. Ran that off, and repeated the procedure.
                            It got me on the road for a month til I got to the strip and dip. Oh yeah a whole can of Seafoam went in with the fill up.
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
                            https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I've started it up twice since my last update. It'll start up no problem now. It'll idle in neutral w/ the choke out about 15%. If I want to give it any throttle I have to increase the choke to ~40%. I rode it around my 0.4 mile apartment complex 10-15 times. In 1st gear I have to stay above 10 mph otherwise it'll bog down and die. The seafoam has been sitting in the carbs for a while now....doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Looks like I'm taking the rack out. The vacuum line is attached to the petcock and rack. Not sure how anything could be wrong? The petcock only has like 150 miles on it, so it's still very new.

Comment

As salty monk said, after dose of seafoam, you need to ride it hard- circling the apartment complex doesn't cut it; you want to force the carbs to work and hope/pray that the seafoam dislodges gunk. When I used it on my son's 250 ninja, bike struggled at idle (and smoked) but after some riding, there was some definite improvement at low speed.
                                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X