No announcement yet.

Sat for 2 months, now it won't idle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I gave it a good hard ride. Didn't do a darn thing! Lol. Decided to pull the carbs when I got back from the ride. All 4 pilot jets were plugged up. Cleaned them out with a wire bristle. Soaked them in carb cleaner for 15 minutes, put them back in....put the rack back on the bike. Started right up. Idled like it was new. Problem solved. Should have just done that in the first place. It honestly took a total of 45 minutes, including the 15 minutes soaking in carb cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by ssanderson1 View Post
      Alright, I gave it a good hard ride. Didn't do a darn thing! Lol. Decided to pull the carbs when I got back from the ride. All 4 pilot jets were plugged up. Cleaned them out with a wire bristle. Soaked them in carb cleaner for 15 minutes, put them back in....put the rack back on the bike. Started right up. Idled like it was new. Problem solved. Should have just done that in the first place. It honestly took a total of 45 minutes, including the 15 minutes soaking in carb cleaner.
      Bingo thats what everyone was telling you. Now Do a proper carb clean

Comment

Ive read all this and If it was me, this is what I would realise.

The pilot jets were all clogged, so that goes to an upstream problem. I would chech the tank for crud from whatever source..and yes the pump at the station may not have filtration properly. Secondly, since its back to normal, the pilot curcuit is probably ok, but still i would remove the pilot and mixture screws and shoot some carbs spary and air down them. Third, i would remove the needle jet and poke all those holes as well. Just some simple rinsing is all that they really need and not a full on tear down. Doesnt that sound weird coming from me, seeing that I am a staunch advocate for meticulous cleaning?? But all in all it just sounds like there was some contaminated fuel that got into the carbs pilot jets and not so much deep in the passages.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 10-11-2012, 11:44 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X