YouTube rebuild series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube rebuild series...

So i have discovered that i need to rebuild the top end on my GS850G. Almost all the gaskets leak, and i am sure after reading a bunch on this forum the PO used sub-par gaskets. Anyway, I am a picture, video learner and i have been looking around the net for a few weeks on a step by step process of tearing down the top end on my motor and rebuilding it. I found this series that does just that, however my question is this, can i use this series as a base line for my 850? The series is how to rebuild a gs500.

Suzuki GS500 Top End Rebuild Part 1 of 4This video is meant as a visual aide and should be used in conjunction with a good repair manual. The "Tools" sectio...

One she seams to make it sound easy to do, two she is not bad to look at (when you do see her) or listen too .

I know i have 4 pistons to the 500's 2, but is her timing method (in part 3 or 4) useable for an 850? Those types of questions are what i have, and of course i will be starting a thread with videos and pics, and be asking for specific questions to my specific bike.

Thanks
    Kimo

P.S. Based on a previous thread, i really only wanted to be in for a penny, but have found i am in for a pound instead. Thanks for the heads up BassCliff!
    Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM.

not a good idea really, the 2 engines are completely different as you say. you may get some insight into tearing down a top end but it will have no bearing when doing your engine. taking off and refitting carbs, camshafts etc will be different and final tasks like cam timing and valve clearance setting will all be different to your engine
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

the factory service manual(which you know is available on cliffs site) is pretty darn good at walking you through. read it like 5 times, so you have an understanding of the whole process and ask questions on here if you get stuck. its easier than you think, and sfter you do it once you will never fear doing it again. I just rebuilt my first gs engine, had very successful results and am very happy. then i crashed my bike lol but thats a different story.
      the key is in the manual and reading the whole process through in the book gives you the whole picture. and yes, parts add up quick. One may think a couple gaskrts and I will be ready but there are all sorts of bits and sealants and washers ans toos/materials that add up along the way.
      do you best to read and understand the process and the folks here will be more than happy to help you at the confusing parts.
      Good luck, keep us posted. And do it right the first time and you will be proud of you awesome running bike. half assing gets you headaches later

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        not a good idea really, the 2 engines are completely different as you say. you may get some insight into tearing down a top end but it will have no bearing when doing your engine. taking off and refitting carbs, camshafts etc will be different and final tasks like cam timing and valve clearance setting will all be different to your engine
        I can see your points. However having never torn down a top end, it's not a bad peek into the work that will be involved. It certainly helps take a bit of the scary out of it.

Of course when you get stuck doing your own a YouTube video isn't going to be able to tell you what is wrong.

Comment

sorry bout my typing (arm in cast)

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
            I can see your points. However having never torn down a top end, it's not a bad peek into the work that will be involved. It certainly helps take a bit of the scary out of it.

Of course when you get stuck doing your own a YouTube video isn't going to be able to tell you what is wrong.
            yeah i did say it would give him some insight into tearing an engine down but watching a vid of someone tearing down a different motor to his own may lead to some confusion on the way.
            as stated study the manual, progress slowly and if he gets stuck, hit the HELP button on GSR
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks all, i am feelings better about this the more i get on these forums. I will keep everyone posted, and i will be dowloading the manual for some "light" reading this week. Thankfully i have a 30 min bus ride twice a day

Kimo

Comment

Working...
              X