How to lube a standard drive chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lube a standard drive chain?

Sorry if this has been discussed on here somewhere and I couldn't find it. I believe I have a standard chain and would like to adequately lubricate it. Most of what I found on here was for the o-ring chains I think.

So what is the best way to lubricate and protect a standard chain?

Thanks

Nathan

P.S. I've read why not do it with the engine going. OUCH

First, how in the world did you manage to get a non-oring chain in 2013?
    Second, the process is not much different for a non-oring than an oring.
    Here is a video
    Lots of sources if you Google it. Notice how he turns the rear wheel BACKWARD. That is the correct way for the wheel to rotate when you do this.

Comment

That is the correct way for the wheel to rotate when you do this
      Explanation please. I've never heard of this. What difference does it make?

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

I use the best of both methods.....

First I spin it one way, 2 times around, then I spin it the other way around 2 times

Have not had an issue yet....

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
          I use the best of both methods...
          I disagree, GK, my method is even better.

I gave up on drive chains 33 years ago.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you rotate it forward, you run the risk of your hand, or, when cleaning it first, your cloth, or anything else, rotating into the chain. Basically, anything that might touch the chain will be pulled into the sprocket. If you ever saw the YouTube where the guy has the bike running and pulls his hand into the sprocket you would understand.
            If you go backward you eliminate that possibility. It is all about minimizing risk, just like riding.
            Or add +100 lb. and go Steve's way.

Comment

First, you ensure your die grinder gears are adequately lubricated, install a cutting wheel, and "lubricate" that crap chain into the nearest garbage bin.

Then you apply a light coat of leather conditioner to your wallet, pull out your Visa card and use the numbers embossed thereon to order up a decent o-ring or x-ring chain.

(But first, make sure it's really a non-o-ring chain.)

Seriously, a non o-ring chain has no business on a streetbike. It won't last long at all, and it'll hash your sprockets as it goes.

If you're determined to use it, don't go far from home and follow the directions on any can of chain lube. Some people use chainsaw chain lube, which is cheap and works but is incredibly messy.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well you would have to be a totally brain dead dolt to run a bike in gear on its centerstand to do a lube job. And yes I did see that video many years ago and the one where the running bike comes off the centerstand and smashes itself and the contents of a garage to ****.

Does anyone use the automatic oilers? I've always thought they were a good idea and had thought about bodging up one but haven't yet got to it.

thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers,
                spyug

Comment

FWIW: Friend and forum member (msdosp1mp) turned me on to teflon spray. Best to reapply every few hundred miles. Clean, efficient option... and fried eggs won't stick to your chain.

'80 GS1000ST
                  '92 ZX-11
                  Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

You are correct, Frank, that is what most of the chain bike riders are moving to. Just to clarify, that is also known as a chain wax. Does not sling like a lube, needs to be applied a bit more often, half the price of motorcycle chain wax, available locally at Lowes and at Amazon.com.
                    And your fried eggs will slide right off.

Comment

Also, it has been preached for as l;ong as I can remember that you lube a "hot chain" after a ride and its gonna sit for a while. The heat from the chain being warmed up will help evaporate the carriers that are added to make the lube sprayable from a can. Then first thing in the morning or before next ride, you just wipe the excess off with a rag. And I have a thumb nail right now that is growing back from a pinch in the chain. was pointing to the master link as another was rotating the tire and i got it pnched. Yeah I knew better but was rushing it. Turn the wheel backwards as suggested earlier.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you use a lube, hot chain it. If you use a wax, cold chain it.

Comment

Spray wax/teflon is the way to go.
                          If you use a petroleum based lube/grease/oil , make sure it is not over 87 octane.....or your chain will ping.

Comment

Oh, shut up and heal.

Comment

Mr. Bwringer has the best idea

If you're going to spring for a sealed chain (and you should), don't bother with o-ring and spend the extra $10 to get an x-ring chain.

I love the Teflon multi-lube, and I have NEVER seen anyone say they used it and ever switch back to something else. Now that I've said that, someone will post on this thread that they did! The only negative commentary I've seen is from people who have never used it, and dismissed it because it wasn't "motorcycle specific" (even though it's labeled as "o-ring safe"). DuPont apparently started making a motorcycle-specific Teflon spray and the reviews I saw still liked the original better! $6 @ Lowes, hard to argue with that!

However, it's a great lube for sealed chains. I'm not sure that it would be very beneficial for a standard chain. The point of cleaning/lubing a sealed chain is to clean and condition the rings so they don't get chewed apart by dirt stuck between them and the side plates (hence the X-ring recommendation as there's much less opportunity for dirt build-up there). The inner rollers are "permanently" lubed, so long as the rings hold up. Keep the outside of the rollers clean to reduce wear on the sprockets and you're golden. With non-sealed chains you do want to get lube into the inner rollers if you can. One technique I read here from someone was to remove the chain altogether about once or twice a year, soak it in kerosene for cleaning, clean it off and then dip it in molten wax.

Yeah, I'd get a sealed chain

Comment

Working...
                              X