Front Master Plunger Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Master Plunger Removal?

Well I ordered $108 worth of front brake rebuild parts for my bike the other day. They will be here shortly so I started the disassemble of the master cylinder? How do you remove the plunger? I searched but could not come up with anything.

there should be an internal circlip in there. probably hidden by rust and crud. pop that out and the plunger should pull right out
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

ok thanks. I have a c clip plier set. Hope one of them fits.

Comment

You will need straight LONG pins to get into the circlip.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          You will need straight LONG pins to get into the circlip.
          In particular, these:

I modified some HF needle-nose pliers on the bench grinder, but the one in the pic looks easier to use.

Tear out the rubber boot, and there may be a plastic ring left over from that. After that, keep digging. It IS in there.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

well I tore the boot off and eventually pulled the plastic ring out. Then I got to the C Clip and got it out. But I still cannot remove the plunger. I tried to twist and pull but nothing. Is anything else holding this in? Is is threaded?

Comment

no its not threaded, probably just stuck in with corrosion. soak in some wd40 or similar over night, then try again. a bit of heat may help as well
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

No threading, it's just stuck.

You can soak it, heat it and try again.
                Or you can drive a wood screw into the head of the plunger and yank it out with pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
                  well I tore the boot off and eventually pulled the plastic ring out. Then I got to the C Clip and got it out. But I still cannot remove the plunger. I tried to twist and pull but nothing. Is anything else holding this in? Is is threaded?
                  Mine had a c-ring, plastic ring and then the circlip. And yep it should pop right out. Prolly more crud needs removing.
                  -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

ok i"ll give that a shot. The plunger moves back and forth freely but will not advance out while pulling on it. Cleaned it up and hit with air but it doesnt look like any other cclips are holding it in.

Comment

Good day or 2 soak in extra strength white vinegar will eat the rust up and not damage the paint.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        No threading, it's just stuck.

You can soak it, heat it and try again.
                        Or you can drive a wood screw into the head of the plunger and yank it out with pliers.
                        I tried everything on mine and this is the only way it came out.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM.

Comment

got it soaking now..cross our fingers. thx

Comment

Ok....after several rounds of penetrating lube I was able to get the plunger out by putting the MC in a vice and smacking the plunger with a screwdriver and dead blow hammer. After I got it out I cleaned it up as much as possible and put it in the carb/parts cleaner pail for about 2 hours. Pulled it out and washed it with soapy water and blew it out with compressed air. Looks much better than before. I have 2 questions though....First is I know I need to make sure that very small weep hole is clear. There are 2 the same size and one is clear and the other is not. Does only one of the holes actually go through to the plunger? Also Im gonna hit it with some new black paint (rattle can). Should I use VHT satin black?

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
                              Ok....after several rounds of penetrating lube I was able to get the plunger out by putting the MC in a vice and smacking the plunger with a screwdriver and dead blow hammer. After I got it out I cleaned it up as much as possible and put it in the carb/parts cleaner pail for about 2 hours. Pulled it out and washed it with soapy water and blew it out with compressed air. Looks much better than before. I have 2 questions though....First is I know I need to make sure that very small weep hole is clear. There are 2 the same size and one is clear and the other is not. Does only one of the holes actually go through to the plunger? Also Im gonna hit it with some new black paint (rattle can). Should I use VHT satin black?
                              At first the two holes look the same. One goes through, one stops short. In the bottom of the shallow hole is a tiny hole that you may not be able to see until it's cleared. Carb dip not clear mine. Keep at it with cleaner and a stiff piece of wire, like from a brush.

I used whatever black paint I had on hand. So long as I keep brake fluid off of it, it's fine.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X