No announcement yet.

Front Master Plunger Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so i do have to clear that second hole too. I'll hit it with some cleaner and try to get a piece of wire brush through there. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tech73 View Post
      I tried everything on mine and this is the only way it came out.
      Yep. I don't even waste my time with penetrating fluid. I just drill it, cut it, torch it or whatever it takes. I have too many projects for patience, lol.

Comment

Still cant get through that little pin hole. I cut a piece off my wire brush and dug, soaked in parts cleaner, hit with carb cleaner, dug more, blew out with air compressor but still cannot get through that little hole. Any other ideas?

Comment

If you dont have the tool..... I removed my circlip with some small hemostats. It took a few tries, but it worked.

The repair kit parts I bought from PowerSportsPlus.com had the wrong sized plunger and circlip, and they have been unresponsive in getting me the right kit.

My old plunger looked OK, So I put everything back together using the old plunger and circlip.

Now the brake wont stiffen up and air swishes into the reservoir when pumping the brake.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Gregory View Post
            The repair kit parts I bought from PowerSportsPlus.com had the wrong sized plunger and circlip, and they have been unresponsive in getting me the right kit. .

Update on PowersportsPlus.com. It took a while but they fianlly made it right.

After sending this post to them they did contact me back and took care of getting me the new part... and although they said they dont have the ability to send me the confirmation reciept (i hope) reimbursing me for the return part.
            82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
            80 gs1000s

Comment

Look at the bore of that master before you rebuild it..look for any ptiing or scarring in there of any kind..if it looks sketchy it probably is and will fail you right off the jump.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Buy can of denatured alcohol. Use this to clean with as it dissolves the crud, evaporates, and does not contain water. Keep water away from the MC as it will cause rust.

Clean the bore with a 12 gauge brass bore brush. it also will clean the entrance where the c clip goes really well. The brass is soft will not scratch it.

Replace the bowl o ring if you have a removable one, otherwise clean the sight glass well and the threads for the cap. I run a tap carefully through to clean them.

When you assemble use new parts, don't reuse anything.

Use brake fluid to reassemble and lube everything. I do this over a metal paint tray because it's messy.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION. Blasting air or working with the spring will launch brake fluid which is really bad for your eyes.
                Make sure you assemble it all correctly or it won't pump up.
                Clean the brake switch and replace if worn.

When you go to prime it use a brake bolt with a series of washers to seal off the end. You should be able to get a rock hard lever on the bench after a few works of the lever. If not, or if it leaks past the boot, you did something wrong and have to go back in.

If all these steps seems like a lot of trouble, remember what this part does.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Well the master main body is pretty cruddy still inside. Cant find a brass bore brush anywhere. Still cannot get that second hole clear either. Bout to give up. Where can I buy another master cylinder body?

Comment

I just took everything apart on mine and left it in berrymans overnight, then cleaned with carb cleaner. Repainted everything and put in the rebuiild kit and it seems to work ok now after using a friends oil vacuum to bleed it.
                    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
                    80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
                    X