Side stand trouble (pictures inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand trouble (pictures inside)

On my GSX750es, 1983, the side stand is positioned where my boot should be, between the footrest and the gear shifter.

The bike has a 4-1 exhaust, dunno if that has anything to do with it.

It is possible to ride it - but it takes some wiggling to get my foot positioned right - so of cause it is not optimal. I just replaced the spring with a new oem, but it made the problem worse, rising the stand even higher than before.

Can anyone tell me if it is bent or something. I would like to see where it is positioned originally if someone has a picture. Thanks

that sure dont look right, either the kick stand is bent or the bracket it bolts onto is bent or broken. show us a close up pic of the bracket with the stand fully down
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Normally isn't there a rubber bumber on the side stand that rests against the left side muffler? Seeing that the left pipe is now gone, it allows stand to come up much higher.
      I have a 4-1 also, however my sidestand still does not come up quite that high I dont think. Maybe your pivot is worn or bent?

Comment

That definitely is not right. I don't have my 750 anymore to check but from my memory that doesn't look like the correct side stand at all.

Hopefully one of the other guys will post a pic for you. How about it Gatekeeper?

You can't ride with it like that as that is definitely a hazard. Be careful.

good luck,
        spyug

Comment

I can't see anything evidently wrong that would make me see why it is coming up too high.
          Surely there must be a "stop" something that the kickstand butts up against to keep it from going higher. That stop on my GS1100 is where the stand rests against the stand mount which is welded to the frame. Theres a cutout which allows the stand a radius to pivot to it's stop point which keeps it from pivoting too far one way or the other. Either the stand or frame might be worn away enough to allow it to go higher than it otherwise should. It would not have to be worn away allot either
          since it is close to the stand/frame mounting hole.
          Another explanation would be a possible bent stand, does it curve up a bit through it's length?
          I got this pic off the internet and it shows what appears a serviceable stand in the up position and it clearly doesn't go as high.
          I checked the fiche and there are no rubber cushions for this stand.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Walle's kick stand appears to have the switch missing,near the pivot, like yours does Sedelen. would this cause it to raise higher? maybe a stop on the switch mount or something?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              Walle's kick stand appears to have the switch missing,near the pivot, like yours does Sedelen. would this cause it to raise higher? maybe a stop on the switch mount or something?
              That maroon 750 I posted is something I looked up on the Internet, but I was looking at my '82 GS1100E which has pretty much the same stand, but my switch is located where it has nothing to do with the stoping point for the stand. But I do see what you're talking about, could it possibly be the switch in the closed position with the stand up provides the stop? I wouldn't think so, but it very well could be. I would think that might be too much pressure for a switch to take but......... I could see where that would work, at least for awhile.
              sigpic
              Steve

Comment

how long has it been this way on Walle's bike? has he recently taken off the stand switch?
                you can see in his pic there is some sort of bracket there which could have held the switch and a seperate "stop plate" maybe?
                the maroon bike has the stand laying in a more horizontal position, whereas Walle's is angled upwards. there has to be a stop missing or the "L" shape stand pivot is badly worn or bent
                Last edited by Agemax; 09-29-2012, 11:27 AM. Reason: added a bit
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

how long has it been this way on Walle's bike? has he recently taken off the stand switch?
                  you can see in his pic there is some sort of bracket there which could have held the switch and a seperate "stop plate" maybe?
                  the maroon bike has the stand laying in a more horizontal position, whereas Walle's is angled upwards. there has to be a stop missing or the "L" shape stand pivot is badly worn or bent
                  A stop badly worn, or too small a bolt.
                  In this pic also from the Internet, it looks like a flat stop on the stand, but can't see what it mates up to, looks like it just bumps up against the frame side stand mount.
                  sigpic
                  Steve

Comment

look closer, there is a set bolt screwed through the bracket that the flat on the stand butts up against when in the up position
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Looking at it [Wallies ] and my own 750 my guess is his has the wrong bolt , if you look at the pic he has posted it appears to have a washer on it,My own and the maroon one posted do not have a washer. my guess is someone put a regular bolt in the side stand pivot where it requires a special shouldered bolt in which leaving enough play around the pivot for the stand to come up higher in the up position.
                      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

look closer, there is a set bolt screwed through the bracket that the flat on the stand butts up against when in the up position
                        I believe I see what you're talking about, but there isn't enough contrast for me to make out what could be a bolt, dirt, or just asphalt.
                        (My eyes are bad, very bad, ugly women look good to me).
                        Anyway, that's probably the problem if there is indeed a bolt and his is missing or needs adjusting!
                        Problem is I just don't see it on the fiche for the stand or frame.

sigpic
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                          A stop badly worn, or too small a bolt.
                          Or wrong bolt, or bolt put in backwards.
                          I do believe too small a bolt would allow alot more pivot in the radius the stand operates. The smaller the bolt the more the pivot.
                          sigpic
                          Steve

Comment

i think we need to wait for some more input from Walle, how long has it been like it, what has he done to change anything, and better pics
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Hi again. I'm back with detailed pictures. The bike is new to me. It was like this when I got it. I have that little L-shaped plate on the stand itself - and I agree on your input that a stopping bolt should be there to meet this.
                              The stand looks a bit bent also.

Comment

Working...
                              X