Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch lever question... arthritic issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch lever question... arthritic issue?

Greetings,

My middle finger on my left hand is beginning to pop. It occurs behind the joint closest to the finger tip. I'm not sure if I will figure out what it is, or will just have to live with it. It snaps/pops and is quite painful when it happens. Probably 15 - 25 times per day (not just when riding). The pain is actually between the joints and on the left side of the middle finger.

I think maybe if my clutch lever had a shorter travel it might be easier on my finger. I have the lever adjusted almost perfectly for quick response and complete disengaging... so there is very little play before it tightens the cable. I think I have a complete disengage with a good 1/4~1/3 to go before it contacts the handlebar grip.

As I see it my options are:

Loosen the lever..
    Bend the lever..
    Buy a differently shaped lever..
    Maybe get a hydraulic clutch setup... which I know even less about.
    Go to the doctor and see what he says.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Originally posted by twotimeGSr View Post
    Go to the doctor and see what he says.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    If he knows about clutches then he's your man! he could probably give some advice on the finger too. How old is it?
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Don't know what kind of levers you have, but if you have the non-recessed levers you could try the recessed or vice versa.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
        Don't know what kind of levers you have, but if you have the non-recessed levers you could try the recessed or vice versa.
        Is this the same as what we call dog leg levers? if so the pull is reduced by about 1/2 - 3/4"
        Venhill do a hydraulic clutch kit by magura and I've read mixed reports mostly by the dirt bike riders.
        sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

I don't recall what the clutch pull is like on your bike, but you may benefit from installing a new set of OEM clutch springs -- these will have the lightest clutch pull possible.

Aftermarket springs are much stiffer, and it's quite common to find that these have been installed.

A new clutch cable may also help things quite a bit. I installed a new cable on my GS850 just this morning, and the clutch pull is much improved -- the old cable was getting quite stiff. Same goes for making sure the lever and cable end is properly lubed -- make sure what you have is as good as it can be.

Another idea might be to make a slightly longer clutch actuation lever (the little lever at the top of the clutch cover). This is a common modification on the KLR650, for example.

I'm sure you could scare up a spare or two for experimentation, then find someone with a welder to extend it a bit.

Or is your problem more the distance you have to pull and not the force?
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The tendons at the joint are beginning to slip laterally from their previous position. Therefore, the joint is no longer as stable as it once was and is beginning to wear more and producing the arthritic condition.

I, angrily, have the identical problem except that my finger has began to exhibit the slip (finger no longer straight). I spent decades of clutching big off road bikes and I also spent many years pulling 8 and 10 inch above-ground irrigation pipe apart about 4 months a year.

You need to start looking at the use of this hand in a different light. In other words, go out of your way to no longer stress this finger as much as you have done in the past. Also, it is an indication of doing the same with the rest of your fingers.

It is a condition of repetetive hard work and genetics. I am willing to bet this is your non-dominant hand.....right? If so, very typical. We tend to overstress our non-dominant (like, for steadying and tightly holding) and use our dominant for fine manipulation.

I spent 5 hours on the 750 yesterday and I try to use ALL of my fingers (much closer to the base) to do my clutch work when not in stress situations. Today, my identical finger hurts....as I type this. Makes me angry as can be. Wish I had not farmed for so many years.

I studied Occupational Therapy at KUMC and spent a good deal of time in the hand clinic.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
              Is this the same as what we call dog leg levers? if so the pull is reduced by about 1/2 - 3/4"
              Venhill do a hydraulic clutch kit by magura and I've read mixed reports mostly by the dirt bike riders.
              http://www.venhill.co.uk/Magura_Clutch_Conversion
              Recessed Lever

Non Recessed Lever
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Never seen one, a friend was talking about getting a kit for his bike.
                See them on E-BAY often you can attach a mini compressor to.
                Some of the drag racers will know about them.
                Won't fix your joint but may help with riding.

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
                  Recessed Lever

Non Recessed Lever
                  Yup thanks for that, We call the top one a dog leg lever and tother a straight.
                  That was a very interesting and infomative post by Dakatakid, thanks for that too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X