Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1100 Oil Leak From Behind Starter!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100 Oil Leak From Behind Starter!?

Is it typical for the oil-seal / o-ring that seals the starter from the gear-case / magneto and engine oil on the left of the motor to fail and start to weep oil from a little hole right behind the starter - on the left of the bike - and right outside of (and slightly above) the front sprocket!?

This is all behind the front sprocket case cover...

It isn't uncommon for starter o-ring or stator wires D-grommet to be the cause of oil leaking from the "mystery hole" as you described. A relatively easy and cheap problem to remedy.

Comment

Quite common area to leak

Comment

Originally posted by JungleJustice View Post
        Is it typical for the oil-seal / o-ring that seals the starter from the gear-case / magneto and engine oil on the left of the motor to fail and start to weep oil from a little hole right behind the starter - on the left of the bike - and right outside of (and slightly above) the front sprocket!?

This is all behind the front sprocket case cover...

Yes, it's very typical.

Mystery Hole oil leaks are usually the starter o-ring.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Crap! I just changed that stator cover gasket, the oil and the filter. Do I have to take that cover off again to get the starter out. From memory it looked like the starter will come out of the top chrome cover without removing the stator cover again...

Thoughts?

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Crap! I just changed that stator cover gasket, the oil and the filter. Do I have to take that cover off again to get the starter out. From memory it looked like the starter will come out of the top chrome cover without removing the stator cover again...

Thoughts?
            Yes, that's exactly right. Remove the chrome cover (two small bolts), remove the starter wire, remove the two retaining bolts, and gently lever the starter to the right side of the bike a bit to pop it out.

You should be able to do this without removing the carbs. I'm pretty sure you can on all the larger (700cc and up) engines.
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You probably want to double check the source of the leak first, cam chain tensionors also leak down into the mystery hole, as does the oil pressure switch
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys.

What is the seal called / part number please? I did a bit of search with various vendors and on eBay, but I can't locate it. Must not be naming it correctly.

Comment

O-ring

#17 O RING 09280-24001 $1.00

seems it was missed the first time I posted this
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2012, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Surely that large, thin, o-ring that looks like the o-ring on an oil filter or something is not it...!?

When I had the stator cover off, there appeared to be a wide shoulder seal (almost looks like a cam seal on an overhead cam car engine or something) that sat right around the neck of the starter where it passes through the cases! That seal looked to be no more than 1.5 inch in diameter with about a 1/4 inch wall!!!

Comment

Surely that large, thin, o-ring that looks like the o-ring on an oil filter or something is not it...!?
                      Look again -- it's #17 on the diagram, over at the top right of the diagram.

It's a 24mm ID o-ring, not the large o-ring on the starter case.

When I had the stator cover off, there appeared to be a wide shoulder seal (almost looks like a cam seal on an overhead cam car engine or something) that sat right around the neck of the starter where it passes through the cases! That seal looked to be no more than 1.5 inch in diameter with about a 1/4 inch wall!!!
                      NO idea what you are talking about. There's no seal there. Just an o-ring.

We may have a breakdown of communication or terminology here...
                      Last edited by bwringer; 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

It appears that you are confusing the starter clutch (big gear under the stator cover) with the starter, which is on top of the crankcase and pokes thru at the top right of the stator cover
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                        X