Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I use same oil for final drive and gear box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I use same oil for final drive and gear box?

I used this Kawasaki 90w Hypoid w/limited slip additive for the final drive(shafty) which was supplied by PO. The clymers says 90w hypoid for both..just wanted to ask before I did? anybody know the ml for gear box? I read it somewhere but can't find it in the clymers manual??

Originally posted by slyone View Post
    ... anybody know the ml for gear box? I read it somewhere but can't find it in the clymers manual??
    Skip the Clymer manual, go straight to the factory book.

Recommended procedure is to drain the old oil, install the drain plug (duh!), then open the inspection hole and fill until oil comes out. Do NOT fill to the top.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

That's fine for the secondary and final gear set.. Trans gears share engine oil I use Rotella 15-40 has more zinc protection than other conventional oils

Comment

Thanks everyone..got it!
        Last edited by Guest; 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slyone View Post
          Thanks guys..got it!
          And GAL.

SqDancerLynn1 happens to be of the female persuasion.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Skip the Clymer manual, go straight to the factory book.

Recommended procedure is to drain the old oil, install the drain plug (duh!), then open the inspection hole and fill until oil comes out. Do NOT fill to the top.

Apparently I have a lot of learning to do because, I do not understand this at all. Secondary Bevel, Final Bevel... What are these things? Engine oil change, filter change, overhaul? again super confused... Will my Clymer help? I want to be able to wrench on my own stuff, but apparently I need a language coarse first. I don't even know what an inspection hole is. Is it the view finder clear thing so you can see how much oil is in there?

I'm not an idiot, or at least I didn't think I was... Sheesh.. what have I gotten myself into...lol

Comment

Originally posted by David-Z View Post
              Apparently I have a lot of learning to do because, I do not understand this at all. Secondary Bevel, Final Bevel... What are these things? Engine oil change, filter change, overhaul? again super confused... Will my Clymer help? I want to be able to wrench on my own stuff, but apparently I need a language coarse first. I don't even know what an inspection hole is. Is it the view finder clear thing so you can see how much oil is in there?

I'm not an idiot, or at least I didn't think I was... Sheesh.. what have I gotten myself into...lol
              The quantity of oil needed varies depending on if just the oil is changed, the oil and filter, or if the engine is refilled after a complete rebuild.

Final drive = large silver gear housing your rear wheel bolts to (gears inside)

Secondary drive = gears inside engine that power the shaft drive.

All is explained inside the Factory service manual, available for download on Cliff's website. Cliff's site also has tutorials on how to change the various oils.

When in doubt, try the search feature and hunt down your answer. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Engine Oil Change - if you are just changing the oil without changing the filter
                Filter Change - Amount you will have in there after draining the oil and changing the filter
                Overhaul - you completely empty all oil out of the engine while doing an overhaul
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by recycled64

The secondary bevel drive is at the back left of the engine, and is lubricated by the engine oil, which also lubes the transmission. You don't fill that separately, but it does have it's own drain plug, which uses a 21 mm BOX-end wrench.

The 'inspection hole' spoken about is where you check and add, if necessary,
                  or refill it if you've drained it to change the gear oil, and no, it's not the sight 'glass' I spoke about. That is the 'Final Bevel' that's in that chart.
                  Some bikes ,yes, some ,no.

Some have secondary are in same case and use engine oil. Others have seperate area and use the 90w gear lube. Check manual or look to see if is fill plug on top.
                  If is film plug on top, then take off cover (have to remove shift lever first) and then can find drain plug and the "fill to here" little plug.

David-Z'
                  80 850GL will have fill plug etcetera and use the 90W gear lube.

Last edited by Redman; 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Apparently I have a lot of learning to do because, I do not understand this at all. Secondary Bevel, Final Bevel... What are these things?
                    The "Secondary Bevel" is the secondary drive, which is at the left-rear corner of the engine block. That is where a set of bevel gears live that change the direction of rotation from the gearbox output shaft to the driveshaft that goes to the wheel.

The "Final Bevel" is the final drive, what some mistakenly refer to as the "differential". That is the housing that is holding the bevel gears at the rear axle that change the direction of rotation from the driveshaft to the rear wheel.

Engine oil change, filter change, overhaul? again super confused... Will my Clymer help?
                    Note that those are all sub-headings under the "Engine Oil" heading.
                    If you simply drain the oil and refill it, expect to use the "oil change" amount, 2.8 liters.
                    If you also change the oil filter, expect to use the "filter change" amount, 3.6 liters.
                    If you have rebuilt the engine and are starting from a completely DRY situation, expect to use the "overhaul" amount, 3.8 liters.

I don't even know what an inspection hole is. Is it the view finder clear thing so you can see how much oil is in there?
                    Any chance you have downloaded the manual from BassCliff's site? That will help explain a lot of stuff, but you will still have questions, that's why we are here.

The "inspection hole" is for the secondary drive fluid level. If you look on page 34 of BassCliff's pdf file, you will see this picture:
                    (Should be self-explanatory for the secondary drive.)

The "view finder clear thing" is so you can check the ENGINE OIL level, it is on the other side of the engine. The bike needs to be on the centerstand, and on level ground when you check the oil level.

By the way, this just might point out why the factory manual is better than the Clymer manual in most cases.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Thank you all, I certainly appreciate the timely responses.

If you noticed my "Join Date", you can see that I havn't been around here too long, and I appologize if I have a few dumb questions here and there. Having said that, I think I have another (possibly dumb) question about the owners manuals (on Cliff's site). There are Owners Manuals for , GS850G '82, GS1000G '80, and GS1100GL (year not listed). I have a GS850GL '80.. the question is whether it would be best to match up CC, year, or model. I honestly think my best bet is to use some sort of combination, but would really like to avoid 4 hours of research for an oil change (and other basic maintinance).

I imagine they will all be close/similar, but do the small differences matter? I plan on doing all of my own work, and would like the best reference guide I can get.

Thanks again, and I do appologize for hi-jacking this thread. I just figured to continue here with my follow up question.

David/CityBoy

Comment

Has been my expereince that factory manaul for G covers the GL also.

78-79 pretty much the same. Lot of design changes in 80, different carbs and many other changes. But maybe need not bother you with that since there wasnt a GL untill 80.
                        So, speaking of 80 and after;
                        And 80 & 81 pretty much same. Was some design changes for 82, but not much different.

If you get a Clymners manaul, just be sure it 1980 or after, even if it is, say, 1985, it will cover all, and point out some of the differences.

IF you get a Zuki factory, you will want your specific year (or 81). If you were to get an 82 or after it will be specific to that year, although not that much different.

One thing about 850s, is that was only 850G or GL. Was not Es, that were quite different engine.

Last edited by Redman; 10-20-2012, 02:56 PM.
                        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

I think I have another (possibly dumb) question about the owners manuals (on Cliff's site). There are Owners Manuals for , GS850G '82, GS1000G '80, and GS1100GL (year not listed). I have a GS850GL '80.. the question is whether it would be best to match up CC, year, or model. I honestly think my best bet is to use some sort of combination, but would really like to avoid 4 hours of research for an oil change (and other basic maintinance).
                          The manuals for the 850 will cover the G and the GL. The difference in basic operation and maintenance from year to year didn't change much. About the most dramatic change was from '79 to '80, when they lost the kick starter and replaced the points with electronic ignition. The next most dramatic difference came with the different operation of opening the seat and removing the gas tank in '82, but I think the L model already had the key in the back of the seat.

Get the 850G manual, ask questions if you see something that you don't understand.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X