Fixing top-end oil leak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing top-end oil leak!

Guessing can be sooo expensive & depressing! So I bought a Tracer Opti-Lite UV blacklite/dyetest minimag flashlite w/goggles for under $30.00. and got some dye to diagnosis this thing! Took it for a speed run for a couple miles (should of just ran it a bit-not drive it) checked it, light oil everywhere..
    ordered a new oil psi sender (bad leak), Tach seal and as it turned out, the exhaust cam 1/2 moon groomet/seal at the end cap on the left side was causing most of my headaches! literally too from the fumes at a stoplol!
    I would suggest to anyone doing valve adjustments or whatnot to keep these in mind or better yet just replace 'em while you're there..

You can reuse the "old" cam end half moons by simply wiping them and the related surfaces on the head and the cover with some rubbing alcohol to degrease..then apply a smear of three bond 1194 in the U shape of the head, insert the half moons and a dab across the tops of them. Then install the gasket and the cover. Ive never had one leak with this preperation. Another trick is to install the half moons with the lip to the inside of the head..keeps them from wiggling out toward the beauty covers. Some have also asserted that it helps quiet down cam end slapping a bit.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I found with the one leaking that upon close inspection there was a small "spot" starting to almost protrude out from the otherwise flat surface..like the rubber material is breaking down? I know I'll be glad once I get these annoying leaks fixed..that's for sure!

Comment

The half moons are actually a metal core dipped in the rubber coating..so if there is a "bubble" of sorts then I concurr with that one needing replaced. But of they are otherwise looking undamaged, the Three Bond 1194 will reseal them and they wont leak.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
        X