No announcement yet.

Changed the oil - one week later, no idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you might have messed up on camchain tensioner reinstall- (didn't wind it back enough and/or release the lock screw). see this link

#2 plug wet?? probably petcock leaking down the vacuum line- this is what likely caused gas in oil problem. Sooner or later, you'll want a new petcock- available for less than $50

Best to be safe and check camshaft to crankshaft timing in case chain skipped- not much room for error, so better to find out.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      #2 plug wet?? probably petcock leaking down the vacuum line- this is what likely caused gas in oil problem. Sooner or later, you'll want a new petcock- available for less than $50
      Ok, I'll order that ASAP. Where do I go to look for a new petcock that cheap, though? All the ones I'm finding online that are OEM are like $80+

Best to be safe and check camshaft to crankshaft timing in case chain skipped- not much room for error, so better to find out.
      Yessir, that sounds bad. How do I check this?

Comment

For a petcock I would have said Z1 ent.
        I am not sure of the exact model but check here:
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

maybe this one:
        Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Yes, Z1 has the petcock. My Florida guy is sold out of the $45 ones.

My Clymer's manual is sorta OK regarding cam timing- the B&W pics aren't great. But there are pics floating on this site that make it clearer as to what you're doing. see attached pic (courtesy of SuzukiDon, down under)
          Basically, you're looking at camshafts from right side- on exhaust cam, there are numbers 1 and 2 marked on camshaft- you want 2 pointing up and 1 pointing at camcover/head mating surface. At this point crankshaft should be at TDC mark (you know how to check this ,right?). Then you count # of chain pins from mark 2 to mark 3 on intake camshaft (the count includes the pins at 2 and 3) -if things have gone astray, you will know by this.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My Clymer's manual is sorta OK regarding cam timing- the B&W pics aren't great. But there are pics floating on this site that make it clearer as to what you're doing. see attached pic (courtesy of SuzukiDon, down under)
            Basically, you're looking at camshafts from right side- on exhaust cam, there are numbers 1 and 2 marked on camshaft- you want 2 pointing up and 1 pointing at camcover/head mating surface. At this point crankshaft should be at TDC mark (you know how to check this ,right?). Then you count # of chain pins from mark 2 to mark 3 on intake camshaft (the count includes the pins at 2 and 3) -if things have gone astray, you will know by this.
            Ok, I think I understand. I don't actually know how to check the TDC mark, but I can probably rely on a manual to check that. I've got the Clymer manual too, so I can take a look through there for extra help.

Comment

Originally posted by spenczar View Post
              Ok, I'll order that ASAP. Where do I go to look for a new petcock that cheap, though? All the ones I'm finding online that are OEM are like $80+

$60.00 right now

Why not put the bike aside for a bit, compile a list of what you need, and then put the order in?

$65 from these guys:

Visit Ridezilla Albany for all your ATV, UTV, and motorcycle needs! We're your go-to powersports dealer located in Albany, GA. Stop by our showroom today!
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Oh, second thing Tom: Do I need to take the engine out of the frame to be able to check the cam chain like that? Please say no.

Comment

Ok, I think I understand. I don't actually know how to check the TDC mark, but I can probably rely on a manual to check that. I've got the Clymer manual too, so I can take a look through there for extra help.
                  It's been awhile since I looked at crank marks, but you should be able to see thru "window" and determine the "T" mark position- no need to remove signal generator plate per Clymers. see this pic. Only turn crank clockwise with the big nut!

Edit; remember the crankshaft makes two revolutions per one revolution of camshaft- so there are two positions where "T" mark will appear in window for one revolution of camshaft.
                  Last edited by tom203; 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Oh, second thing Tom: Do I need to take the engine out of the frame to be able to check the cam chain like that? Please say no.
                    NO, unless you are really ambitious and enjoy bus rides!
                    But you can't reset camchain tensioner without carb removal (Uggh), so for now ,check cam to crank timing and see what you got,
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

But you can't reset camchain tensioner without carb removal
                      Yes you can. Small wrenches, dextrous fingers, a few choice magic words, it can be done.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

NO, unless you are really ambitious and enjoy bus rides!
                        But you can't reset camchain tensioner without carb removal (Uggh), so for now ,check cam to crank timing and see what you got,
                        I have reset it without removing carbs before, tight space, but possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X