Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to motorcycles in general.

Hello everybody.
    I'm totally new to motorcycles, and have recently obtained through a sale turned barter, a non-running 82 GS450t. I am told it only needs a battery to run. I don't know what else might be wrong.

My question is, what can i expect a bike that has been fairly neglected for at least a little while, will need? I assume: oil change, new battery... these motors are air cooled? I plan on a carb cleaning, and maybe new tires. What else should i look for?

A little background about myself:

I have wanted a motorcycle since I was a child. I've been a bit on the crazy side, and was fairly certain I'd kill myself on a motorcycle up until a couple years back. I'm married, a bit older now (in my 30s) and make wiser decisions. So, I'm excited to have a bike!

I'm very mechanically inclined. I'm a bicycle mechanic. I've worked on racecars, and I'm a welder/fabricator (TIG welding primarily). I'm reasonably capable of most mechanical endeavors.

I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but I'm very coordinated, and I have excellent bike handling skills on bicycles, especially mountain bikes, and fantastic slow speed bicycle handling skills. I plan to take a safety class that gives me the M class license upon completion. Any other advice?

I eventually plan to modify the appearance of the bike (big surprise) and since I'm able to weld and fabricate, I imagine I'll probably enjoy my new hobby quite a bit.

I would love to hear suggestions, common pitfalls, lessons learned, etc...
    Thanks in advance.

-

Welcome to the site. You'll have a lot of maintenance to do to get it running correctly so please don't pull any shortcuts. Look in GS Owners section here for Basscliff's welcome package and set to reading. You'll find lots of invaluable information on his site which can be overwhelming but much needed.

And pictures are required
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You did the first step right. Getting the right size bike to start out on.
      Yeah, Cliff will hook you up with everything you will ever need to know about all things GS.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Welcome to the site. You'll have a lot of maintenance to do to get it running correctly so please don't pull any shortcuts. Look in GS Owners section here for Basscliff's welcome package and set to reading. You'll find lots of invaluable information on his site which can be overwhelming but much needed.

And pictures are required
        Thanks. I have the winter to do what needs to be done. I'll do my best to not shortcut anything.
        I in fact, do not have the bike in my possession at the moment. But i do have a picture.

Comment

2wheels said..."I'm very mechanically inclined. I'm a bicycle mechanic. I've worked on racecars, and I'm a welder/fabricator (TIG welding primarily). I'm reasonably capable of most mechanical endeavors"

With these skills you likely know folks who own dirt bikes- borrow one (even a 100cc) and you'll learn lots about motorcycling real quick with minimum risk of injury and you'll gain humility as your crazy side retreats.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This is step #1 in motorcycling:

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course, just do it. Go to their website and find a date and course near you.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

With these skills you likely know folks who own dirt bikes- borrow one (even a 100cc) and you'll learn lots about motorcycling real quick with minimum risk of injury and you'll gain humility as your crazy side retreats.
              +1, you will learn ten times more on a 100 than on a 450, and ten times more on a 450 than on an 1100.
              Small is good at first.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep, and Yep... I started on a 5 horspower Rupp minibike. And learned a lot... Bridgestone 90cc,Yamaha 125,250,490.Kaw 650,1100. Suzuki GS1100,1327. The horsepower I am at now is 175. It is the best way to learn... on a dirt bike if available. Or put knobby tires on your new bike and go tear up a corn field.
                Curt
                sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Carbs will at least need to be cleaned up. Look out for evidence that they've been messed with (a lot of people who have no business with any sort of wrench just love to monkey around with carbs).

Carbs aren't rocket surgery, just small parts that need to be put together right. Take an evening, do them one at a time, and do them at a nice table with plenty of light where you can sit down (i.e., stay comfortable).

Now for the new to bike thing...

1: Take the course. Not only is it worth it but in some states (such as California) it keeps you from having to do the motorcycle skills test (doing the circle of doom on a bigger bike is difficult).

2: This is the important one. Dress for the crash, not the ride. Textile riding gear is pretty cheap. Sure you look a bit like a storm trooper (see below) but if you fall off you won't get to know what wood feels like when it's being sanded.

Enjoy the ride, welcome to the cult.

Comment

Welcome! Looks like everybody's got you under control with what to do, so all I can say is follow the advice and that little 450 will see you well
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
                      Or put knobby tires on your new bike and go tear up a corn field.
                      Curt
                      I would not advise that, especially with the price of corn right now
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Buy the best riding gear you can afford, and wear it EVERY time you ride.

This means: helmet (full face is best), and motorcycle specific (armored) jacket, pants, gloves, and boots. The money is well spent in the prevention of injury when you find yourself sliding across asphalt at speed. It can make the difference between a few bumps and bruises vs. broken bones and a whole heap of road rash.

Personally I wear the same gear on the track as the street (see below). A little overkill for the street maybe, but a few 80+ MPH crashes at the track with no injuries other than a very scuffed up suit and the need for a new helmet has proved to me that the gear works.
                        Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X