Tach cable removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach cable removal?

I know..I'm Lame! wanted to install new seals, it's apparently leaking oil by. I could not get it to unscrew at head..thought it should? Clymers says nothing I then removed bolt & holddown & pryed quite forcefully to get the whole apparatus w/gear out...an 1/8"! So I gave up. I did already buy "2" seals for it and would like to get her buttoned up. This is a 79' 850G. Prolly just kinda frozen up and being stubborn huh?

give it all a good squirt with penetrating fluid and leave to soak for i bit. get a pair of grips on the knurled nut to unscrew the cable.
    when pulling out the drive, grab it tightly with something and twist as you pull, it should pop right out
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just did mine the other day came out with a little more force then i would have liked.

The section of the part you are pulling out is about half the diameter as the upper section that you can see.(one piece sizes machined to different diameter)

The spindle inside will pull out bottom with fingers.(cannot be pulled out without section you are trying to pry off removed)

Knowing this lets you know that the spindle gears are not jammed and causing removal problems.

I used a very large flat head to remove and turned screwdriver to add leverage.(Best to have one that fits in slot tight to keep from damaging aluminum)

After soaking in penetrating oil you might try putting something under screwdriver to gain more leverage.

The seal on single piece photo is whats probably causing hang up though you might have some oxidation on shaft also.

The other photo is just to let you know what you are dealing with.

Parts are laid out as to direction they come out of shaft in middle.

Hope this may help.

Comment

Great! I'll get after this the next couple days. Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
        X