No announcement yet.

Blew a gasket..Literally! lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it works for you Chuck more power to you. Like I said, they do make several kinds. I use RTV on the half moons, it dries and is easy to peel off and remove. And it is a lot cheaper than the 3M bond. I liked the non-drying stuff on the GPz cases because I had to crack those cases several times before I got it right.

Comment

Dude...3 bond works everytime...theres an issue of excessive pressure getting in the upper end and he needs to find that. Otherwise theres no sense in doing X, X, X or anythingbelse till that is discovered.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I am not disagreeing with you Chuck. I am saying that it is not a requirement to use 3Bond; most use RTV which is easier to find and cheaper.
        And if you read my posts we agree there is excess pressure, but he cannot test without having the plugs in there. And I suggest that having a slippery sealant makes it easier for them to slip out. It's not rocket science.
        It is entirely possible that the screens are plugged up, those should be looked at next. But if the screens are not plugged yet there is that much blowby, would you not suspect rings? It is a process of elimination, Chuck.

Comment

I use Threebond 1194. Same as used on the crankcase. RTV should work as well.

Something fishy here. Too much crankcase pressure maybe.

As for technique, I use brake cleaner on a rag to wipe down both the cylinder head and the half moon pieces. Coat the curved area and set the moon in place, followed by installing the valve cover while the sealer is still wet. Allow a few hours to dry before attempting to start the engine.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This is the first time I have heard of people using 1194, but I learn something new every day.
            I think we all agree, then, that there is too much backpressure. The question before us, then, is where is it coming from? Perhaps on a motorcycle there are multiple possible sources?

Comment

Hey great guys, Thanks! I'll check the valves for full closure tonight. The screens are clean and free as is the rubber hose to "stock" air box, which I plan on cleaning out and cleaning/oiling up the air filter as well. Remember, this all happened since last weekend valve adj/carb overhaul so it must be the way I did things. I think(or should I say hope, lol) I'll be golden after this 2nd round..indeed. I got the bike 2 weeks ago or so and the first thing I did was to seek out and join an active and knowledgeable forum, so I did get that part right 1st time LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Seems to me that the excessive pressure is coming from the valves not seating fully and your basically blowing the top- end full of compression. I know you adjusted the valves...but thay may be worth a second look. Roll each lobe around so it is pointing directly AWAY from the bucket and then see if the bucket is moving around freely by trying to move it with your finger.
                Chuck, I just did this and found different readings then before right after adj. Here's what I got lobes 180 from stems,
                #1 intake- 0.04mm exhaust- 0.10mm
                #2 intake- 0.08mm exhaust- 0.08mm
                #3 intake- 0.04mm exhaust- 0.08mm
                #4 intake- 0.10mm exhaust- 0.10mm
                last weekend I loosened 1 & 4 intake and 4 exhaust (too tight) had 275 I put in 270 for a reading of 0.05mm? think I should switch them back and tighten #1 exhaust

Comment

.10mm is fine.

If you adjusted the valves with the lobes 180* from the valve, you did it wrong.

Look in the factory Suzuki service manual for the proper cam position method.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    .10mm is fine.

If you adjusted the valves with the lobes 180* from the valve, you did it wrong.

Look in the factory Suzuki service manual for the proper cam position method.
                    Last time when I had approx. 0.05 thru out, I did follow procedures Steve had posted here at GS, I might have referenced my Clymers too.

Comment

Not Clymers. Suzuki Service Manual.
                      If you have a parakeet, line his cage with the Clymers.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Not Clymers. Suzuki Service Manual.
                        If you have a parakeet, line his cage with the Clymers.
                        lol! but it came with the bike...

Comment

the OP mentioned a "$50" cam cover gasket???##$$@#??t

OEM is only $30.... so it would seem he used a non oem one, and possibly the breather gasket too, is non oem.

maybe it (THEY?) are wrong and blocking something off...??

Comment

also if you look at the picture, the gasket doesn't seem right to me either..

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                              the OP mentioned a "$50" cam cover gasket???##$$@#??t

OEM is only $30.... so it would seem he used a non oem one, and possibly the breather gasket too, is non oem.

maybe it (THEY?) are wrong and blocking something off...??
                              naw there oem all the way, just a huge markup locally...in fact, back in the early 70's this dealership was owned/named Hart Taylor but we all called it Heart Failure due to the markup pricing! lol...

Comment

OK guys, don't crucify me for withholding info. but I thought it served no purpose other than a good razzing and embarrassment on me but when I got it put back together last Sunday and fired it up, I could tell it was laboring to run...and it backfired 2 times that was so freakin loud and crisp I nearly sh#t my pants! Checked front pipes-#3 & #4 cold...I had plug wires crossed...what a dummy! How could I do something so stupid! I thought that shorter boot to the inside seemed odd? Upon testdrive it ran well so no harm/no foul. I then left it idling for a while and messed around with idle adjustments since it was fully warmed up and then's when I noticed the oil all of a sudden peeing on the ground! So anyways, those misfires may have contributed to pushin those plugs out since they seemed OK on the other side at #1 7 #2 cylinder. and I was gonna keep that secret to myself
                                Last edited by Guest; 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X