Another gearing question - rebuilt 1978 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another gearing question - rebuilt 1978 GS550

Hi all, been searching for the last hour to see what I can find re recommended gearing for the 550E
    I have been rebuilding my 1978 550E (photo thread on rebuild section will follow soon)
    I have never ridden it, bought it as a bit of a basket case, so I have no idea of how it rides with the standard gearing (15F 50R I believe?)
    What I would like is a recommendation of a good gearing for town and open sweeping roads (not long boring highways, I live in New Zealand)
    Rear wheel is 18" with a 120/90-18 BT45.
    Am I right that a 15F and 45R with 530 chain would be a good choice as someone suggested?, but not sure which model he had as I know some models have smaller rear wheels.
    Thanks, oh and whatever may be recommended, can you give chain length too please.
    Thank you all in advance.

Why not just stay stock - 116 link chain, 15front and 50 rear?

See the chart here on Basscliff's page
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I woud not go any smaller on the rear or any larger in front than the stock sprockets on a GS550. They need to wind out to make any power at all, tall gears make them slow, boring and inefficient.

I might go the other way, depending on the terrain, the roads and the speeds you want to ride most. Slightly larger rear sprocket to get more revs and better acceleration, it won't hurt the fuel consumption.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I'm with him ^^^^ I'd stay with the standard gearing too - a couple of my friends had those bikes back in their day - the gearing was never an issue. As tkent02 says - if it feels a little gutless - then maybe increase the rear sprocket by a couple of teeth. But I doubt you'll really need to do that.
        '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
        '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
        '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
        '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
        '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Thanks all for your replies, as I said, its mostly town and back road sweepy stuff, almost no long highways.
          Looks like its stock gearing to start with then

Comment

Working...
          X