A few questions about a 78' GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about a 78' GS 1000

Hello, This is my first post here and am looking to get a few questions answered. They cover a few different areas so I'm guessing this is the best place to post. So...here it goes!

This is a 1978 GS 1000. No badges on the side covers. Is there any way to determine what model it is? Title only says GS1000.

Does this appear to be a stock seat? I have searched google images and have only seen 1 other one like it.

Should the motor numbers and vin numbers be matching? My guess is yes but in all honesty they don't match. They both start with "GS1000-" but the last 6 digits are different. (FYI: title numbers match the frame numbers) I did not realize this until after I purchased.

Any ideas on how to get the gas cap open without a working key? Ignition key works with ignition and seat...but the tank is different.

Although the pipe isn't shown in the photo, it has a 4-into-1 setup. Did V&H stamp their pipes? I have not crawled under it to look for any stampings yet (cold garage cement floor!)

Sorry about all the questions at once. I have owned many bikes but this is my first GS. I couldn't pass up the price! I bought it as a non-running project. It's mostly all there except the stock airbox and obviously the pod filters. Starter clutch was apart but it's back together now.

Its an E model. The tank is a 79 and the tailpiece is a 78. The tank shoul also have the indentation down the side. Seat is missing the grab rail and I couldnt see the pattern to tell if it has the 78 pattern or the 79/80 pattern. The true 78s were distinct in that the seat apttern and the indentations and seat patterns were for that year ONLY and only for the C and E models.

C models had wire rims and only 1 front brake caliper. E models were mags and 2 front discs.

As for matching numbers..nope. Suzuki took whatever the next engine in line was and stuffed it in the next frame in line..no matching numbers.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

E model

I have since added the seat grab rail and the emblems. I took this picture just after i got the body wrok back from the painter.
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My C model..still need to get the new cover, which is available at PIT REPLICAS by the way. I sent them my original covers and they duplicated them so now the E ( stepped seat ) and C ( flat seat ) are now readily available.

Comment

Look on the rim of the lock cylionder and see if there is a 3 digit number...thats the key code. Tell the locksmith the year and model and that number and he can make you a key. get an extra and keepm it in your wallet in one of the card slots. K&N put their part numbers on the back of the hanger bracket at the muffler..so to read it you have to remove it and look for it. They can reference that number for the proper baffle too.

Comment

Your seat is not stock, it has been modified, a type of 'corbin' seat as they are called. More of a racing setup. The bike actually looks like it's been modded for a bit more speed ie; 4 into 1 pipe, corbin seat, straighter handle bars, pods if it had them. Even has drilled front rotors, and maybe a chromed swingarm unless that is aluminum paint. Looks like a nice find.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi Mr. badfish,

Somewhere on one of the locks on your bike should be a 3 digit number. Any good locksmith can use that number to cut another Suzuki blank key. There are eBay sellers who sell keys too, pre-cut, just give them your number.

Over the years a lot of these bike have "inherited" parts from other years/models. You've got a diamond in the rough there. Here's some S.W.A.G. to help you get started on it.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the quick info!

As for the seat, I'll snap a few pics and you guys can look it over.

The swingarm is chrome BTW

As for what I need to see if the thing will run:

Flywheel bolt (missing in action!)

Battery

Pod filters

New ignition switch (old one turns but it's bad)

And I'm sure a carb cleaning, but probably a rebuild and sync.

Headlight bucket (i wasn't surprised when I took mine apart to find the words "78 GS 750" in bright yellow junkyard paint marker written on the inside)

Lots of elbow grease and patients!!!

Comment

Don't worry about the 750 headlamp being wrong for a 1k. The 550, 750, 850 and 1000 8 valve bikes (excluding the L models) all shared the same headlamp.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Good to know about the headlight bucket! Leaves me some options for finding a non-broken one!

I'm guessing the oil cooler is aftermarket? I'll need to construct a mount for it. The zip tie holding it on is less desirable!

Here is the seat.

And here is the exhaust. Please dont pass on the info on the hi-tech exhaust holder. Yes...thats a hose clamp er' up!

As you can see I have some work ahead of me!

Comment

there should be 2 holes right in the frame threaded for the mounting of the cooler..if theres a flanged plate at the top of the coils you can just drill 2 holes for bolts to pass thru and use the regular hard points on the frame. look right below the bottom edge of the headlight area and youll find the 2 holes i am talking about. let me know you found them. Lockhart coolers should already have the mopunting holes in the top plate.

That looks like some kinda car thing..beat to hell too so i would question its core integrity anyway.

Comment

Get a foam from someone here, use the existing pan and strip it all down. Glue the right foam to the pan with Contact Cement. Get the new cover from Pit Replicas..and be sure to specify that you want the "1978 GS1000E STEPPED SEAT COVER'.

Comment

Wow, you've got some real POS (previous owner syndrome) going on there

Some derusting is in order

That seat isn't stock, but it looks OK. Is it comfortable?

That "Oil cooler" looks like a heater core for a pick up truck. As Chuck notes, actual oil coolers have an L bracket across the top and that bolts to those two holes in the frame
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's a cool looking seat!
                            '80 GS1000ST
                            '92 ZX-11
                            Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Frank...I hope that was sarcasm. I think I have seen a seat that is actually uglier than a Corbin.

Comment

Working...
                              X