when to use prime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when to use prime

Just wondering how long a GS can sit before you need to prime the float bowls?

I had a hard time starting mine after four weeks. It normally starts instantly, even after 7-10 days. I use Startron as a fuel stabilizer.

Would there be enough evaporation in four weeks to necessitate starting in the prime position?

maybe 1 minute..then crank it over still on prime..then switch it to the ON position.

The only times you should ever need prime is if the tank is 100% empty, your doing carb maintenance, or if the bike has set for a long time and gas has evaporated out of the bowls thru the vents.

Yes 4 weeks is more than enough to require a reprime.

Store the bike on the center stand to keep the fuel levels equal in all 4 carbs as well. It really does help.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      maybe 1 minute..then crank it over still on prime..then switch it to the ON position.

The only times you should ever need prime is if the tank is 100% empty, your doing carb maintenance, or if the bike has set for a long time and gas has evaporated out of the bowls thru the vents.

Store the bike on the center stand to keep the fuel levels equal in all 4 carbs as well. It really does help.
      Thanks Chuck

Comment

Youre very welcome.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Also note....If it starts on PRIme and then runs out of gas once you switch it to the ON position, reprime and switch it all the way to REServe..then find a gas station quickly.

Comment

I wouldn't not have thought that but I find it to be credible. My bike hasn't run since October and after not starting on Christmas day, I had a go at it this weekend. I cranked it over and over with the petcock in the run position just as it has always been. No go at all. Switch to prime and 2 minutes later she fires right up.

I think I learned something.

cheers,
            Spyug

Comment

If mine sits for more that a week, I use prime or run the starter alot longer.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I get a kick out of your avatar.

"The President and The King".

I buy this t-shirt almost every time I visit the Nixon library.

Nixon was so into his work, his politics, etc, that he didn't even know who Elvis was when he came to the Whitehouse for a visit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

I just wanted to say that I get a kick out of your avatar.

"The President and The King".

I buy this t-shirt almost every time I visit the Nixon library.

Nixon was so into his work, his politics, etc, that he didn't even know who Elvis was when he came to the Whitehouse for a visit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

It's the irony of this photo that attracts me to it. The King wanted DEA credentials and he probably has enough drugs in his bloodstream to be charged with intent to deliver

"Of all the requests made each year to the National Archives for reproductions of photographs and documents, one item has been requested more than any other. That item, more requested than the Bill of Rights or even the Constitution of the United States, is the photograph of Elvis Presley and Richard M. Nixon shaking hands on the occasion of Presley's visit to the White House.

On December 21, 1970, Elvis Presley paid a visit to President Richard M. Nixon at the White House in Washington, D.C. The meeting was initiated by Presley, who wrote Nixon a six-page letter requesting a visit with the President and suggesting that he be made a "Federal Agent-at-Large" in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs. The events leading up to and after the meeting are detailed in the documentation and photographs included here, which include Presley's handwritten letter, memoranda from Nixon staff and aides, and the thank-you note from Nixon for the gifts (including a Colt 45 pistol and family photos) that Presley brought with him to the Oval Office."

Read the handwritten letter, it's way out there

Comment

Working...
                  X