Brake pad replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pad replacement

So, today I thought I'd undertake replacing the brake pads... Much harder than I thought. First of all, the bolts took one hell of a time to get out. Stuck in by the mm thick layer of road grime on the caliper. After I got the bolts out, the inside was just as worse. A whole can of brake cleaner later, and it looks better but there were a few differences compared to the brake write up on Cliff's website I want to clear up.

Inside the caliper:

-Shim pad? (sorry forgot pictures): a part that basically "clipped" into the piston (different type of shim pad i bet?).
    -2 guide pads that were hidden beneath the road grime.
    -2 pads
    -Spring pad

Questions:

-I got new pads for both front/rear, but they did not fit. Maybe i was being a b!tch and did not take the piston back far enough, but there was no way it was going in and the wind had picked up and my hands were going a bit numb so I walked away rather than break anything. So, ideas in helping this going smoother tomorrow or the next day?
    -The calipers were so dirty, I may be disassembling them simply for peace of mind as well as aesthetics. For now, since I am not riding, I want to get this done. But, a full caliper rebuild will be done for SURE when I get the chance.

Compress the pistons into the caliper as far as you can. If it were me and you had the time I would tear them down completely and do the complete job. Its really not that hard and you will ride with a lot more confidence when the time comes.

Comment

To be honest, Jwhelan is right and you won't take that much time if you already have the parts on hand.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
        Compress the pistons into the caliper as far as you can. If it were me and you had the time I would tear them down completely and do the complete job. Its really not that hard and you will ride with a lot more confidence when the time comes.
        Thought so. I won't be riding any time soon, and as it is still winter, will wait for the rebuild/paint and keep working on the engine for now. I checked out the rebuild/caliper overhaul and it really doesn't seem too hard at all. I am also going to see if I can give this local powdercoater a try so I can see his work. He usually does small stuff and things for local buddies and I got ahold of him, so may as well give him a try sooner or later.

Comment

Hi,

I've documented my procedure on my little website. Have a look and see if it helps.

Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Yes, sometimes you have to get creative when you have to push back the pistons to fit the pads. Just be careful and don't nick the boots or any other rubber parts, don't gouge the pistons and ruin a seal or anything.

You'll find a list of EBC part numbers for brake pads on my little website too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Good idea to break down the calipers and clean them out properly. New brake lines are strongly suggested too since they are sure to be full of sludge. Brakes are critical so take your time to do the job right.

Good luck.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Good idea to break down the calipers and clean them out properly. New brake lines are strongly suggested too since they are sure to be full of sludge. Brakes are critical so take your time to do the job right.

Good luck.
              Agreed. I will probably be using the "build your own" version that I think you posted Ness.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

I've documented my procedure on my little website. Have a look and see if it helps.

Rear Brake Pad Replacement

Yes, sometimes you have to get creative when you have to push back the pistons to fit the pads. Just be careful and don't nick the boots or any other rubber parts, don't gouge the pistons and ruin a seal or anything.

You'll find a list of EBC part numbers for brake pads on my little website too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              I did question whether or not I got the right parts, but I double checked on the EBC #. I was probably just being a puss and didn't compress the caliper enough. Thanks for the links Bass

A little off topic but oh well... In the near future I really need to meet the both of you and buy you guys a beer or something equivalent on behalf of the mass of people the both of you have helped me included. Just saying

Comment

EBC pads will stop you SO fast, that you'll swear you just threw it into Reverse!
                Last edited by Guest; 01-18-2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Great tutorials on replacing the front and rear brake pads, excellent step by step explanation with super informative photos. Thanks BassCliff for the fine job, it really helped me alot.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    EBC pads will stop you SO fast, that you'll swear you just threw it into Reverse!
                    That's what I am looking for If I remember correctly, you do need to coat the rotors correctly before really braking.

Originally posted by retcol View Post
                    Great tutorials on replacing the front and rear brake pads, excellent step by step explanation with super informative photos. Thanks BassCliff for the fine job, it really helped me alot.
                    Ditto. It was much simpler for me but, didn't really get all the way through all the crap in the caliper.

Comment

I have two sets of brand new EBC pads you might be interested in. PM me if you want to discuss.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        I have two sets of brand new EBC pads you might be interested in. PM me if you want to discuss.
                        I have 3 sets (2 front 1 back) of brand new EBC pads They go on... after the rebuild Thanks for the offer though Ness!

Comment

Working...
                        X