flames out the exhaust...valve clearances and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flames out the exhaust...valve clearances and other questions

I'm following/participating in a thread on ADVrider where a fella is having running issues on his DR350SEx.

He claims the usual:

Nothing touched since running well, just started running poorly one day (stumbling/bogging with throttle)

Backfiring through carb and into airbox

Valves checked and clearances fine; asked repeatedly, stands by his valve check, no reason to doubt him on this.

A bunch of other things have come up, but the latest in the saga is flames shooting out his tailpipe. To me, this still screams valve problems.

My question to this forum:

Can valve clearances check out okay, but the valves still hang open?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

the only possible way i can think of a valve hanging open is the stem is slightly bent, but i cant see it really...may be wrong!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I thought the same thing (bent valve).

There was a moment in the discussion where I thought he may have hydrolocked (could one do that without realizing what was happening (?), possibly bending a valve), but I would have thought more damage would occur.
      '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
        I thought the same thing (bent valve).

There was a moment in the discussion where I thought he may have hydrolocked (could one do that without realizing what was happening (?), possibly bending a valve), but I would have thought more damage would occur.
        a hydraulic lock up = BIG BANG, lots of damage.....you have no choice but to realize it
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Most likely the bike is misfiring so the unburn fuel is collecting in the exhaust and igniting.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            a hydraulic lock up = BIG BANG, lots of damage.....you have no choice but to realize it
            Thanks for the confirmation on that...
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Most likely the bike is misfiring so the unburn fuel is collecting in the exhaust and igniting.
              Thanks, Nessism.

He's been pointed down that road as well, but has yet to find his answer.

The question in my OP about the valve was the one question to which I didn't have an answer, and I've been thinking the whole time that the valves are involved in the problem. It could just be misfiring/mistimed firing as well (exhaust valves hanging open)

I'll come back with what he determines to be the root cause of his problems, if/when he finds the solution.
              '83 GS650G

Comment

I've read on here, but only seen once, where valves with heavy carbon deposits can be checked and deemed to have good clearances but then a couple of turns of the motor, when checked again they're not the same, or are out of spec.
                I wouldn't say that this is likely, but one of the things I HAVE learned in the handful of years tinkering on these bikes is that the phrase "That SHOULDN'T be the cause" or something similar to that are never to be uttered in my shop. Hahaha. Once, after fighting with a cockhandedly modified GS750 my ex-roomie had attempted to get running, I nearly beat him over the head with whatever tool was handy because he kept saying those words instead of actually checking to see if the Chevy ignition coils he had Jerry-rigged to the bike were actually the cause of his ignition problems. "They SHOULDN'T be the problem.."
                They were.

Basically, I would kindly suggest to him that if he has exhausted all of the normal explanations to the root of his issue, double checking them all again, one at a time, would actually be a good idea.
                I do agree with Ed that mis-timing/misfiring and the subsequent ignition of built up vapor in the pipes is one of the more likely causes of the flame throwing pipes. But I would also be concerned about what is causing the sudden misfiring if the bike was running properly so recently and he'd done nothing to change that.

Besides the fuel and ignition systems themselves, I would suggest looking at the charging system and components related. Perhaps the battery isn't supplying the coils with adequate voltage to fire every time which could possibly cause that?
                Did he happen to mess up his cam timing while adjusting the valves?
                Etc etc.

Comment

The valves might have perfect clearances to the cam, ... but is the cam timed properly to the crank?

It's not entirely inconceivable that the cam chain has skipped a tooth or two.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

More likely cam timing than valve clearances - the valve has to be open during ignition for flames to shoot out

How's the compresssion?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have experienced hydraulic lock once on a GS850G, my first one. A bad petcock allowed a cylinder to fill with gas and it locked on the electric starter. I hit the starter a couple more times and it finally rolled on through. It blew gas out of the pipe. I kept that gike for several more years, and thousands of more miles. Always detected or thought I detected a little vibration after that, and wondered if it ever so slightly twisted the crank or bent a rod.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                        I have experienced hydraulic lock once on a GS850G, my first one. A bad petcock allowed a cylinder to fill with gas and it locked on the electric starter. I hit the starter a couple more times and it finally rolled on through. It blew gas out of the pipe. I kept that gike for several more years, and thousands of more miles. Always detected or thought I detected a little vibration after that, and wondered if it ever so slightly twisted the crank or bent a rod.
                        Anytime you get a hydraulic lock, pull the plugs out and spin the motor to clear it. You'll avoid any damage to the engine.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

...and the mystery deepens,or unfolds, depending on one's perspective.

The owner pulled the head, and found a HEAVILY carbon encrusted piston and valves which I'm taking to be a sign of low compression. (Post #14481 in the thread below)

I haven't seen pictures of the bore yet, but I'm anticipating broken/displaced rings, and perhaps some scoring. It's been an instructive thread. Here's the link for anyone interested in checking it out:

A simple, logical way to find the correct TDC for valve adjustments is to remove all the necessary parts...seat, tank, adjuster covers, spark plug,...

RuggedExposure's issues start on post #14037 (ADVrider has some mega-threads that wander around, with multiple topics within the thread. I wish it was more streamlined like here)
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

Working...
                          X