Accidentally left on PRIME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidentally left on PRIME

Hey guys....I don't mean to be non-PC, but I just can't think of a better word to describe myself than RETARDED!

I left the petcock on Prime on accident. It's been sitting there for a few days on the side stand.

I just tried to start it. I pushed the start button and heard a dull, low-toned pop, so I immediately released the start button. I noticed a small trail of liquid leading out of my garage. From what I can tell, the liquid is coming from the tube running down out of the airbox-carb piece.

The crankcase does not appear to be full of gas. My oil level looks, if anything, lower than a week or two ago.

I'm afraid I'll do damage if I try to start it again. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance. One day I'd love to pull my head out and stop making rookie mistakes. Ha

Check the oil again by smell and if necessary, drain it completely. You might want to also take the plugs out and turn the engine over by hand - I think anyway
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Put bike on the center stand, jerk the spark plugs out, put the gearbox in 5th, rotate the rear wheel (in forward direction, see arrow on tire)....observe gasoline blowing out of spark plug holes.

Change oil....

The above describes MY experience
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

+1 on change the oil and filter. It's not worth taking a chance considering what the alternative could be.
        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
        https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Should I change the oil, then pull the plugs and crank by hand? Or does it not matter in which order I do them?

Comment

I'd pull the plugs and rotate first. That way you don't contaminate your fresh oil with any gas sitting on the pistons. Although I doubt there would be enough to cause any problems, but that's what I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
              Put bike on the center stand, jerk the spark plugs out, put the gearbox in 5th, rotate the rear wheel (in forward direction, see arrow on tire)....observe gasoline blowing out of spark plug holes.

Change oil....

The above describes MY experience
              or, just turn the engine over by hand, using the big nut on the end of the crank
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Change the oil, run to clean.
                Then change oil and filter again.
                Run and ride bike.
                You want to clean all gas out of case but just as important off the clutch fibers as they will break down if left soaking in fuel contaminated oil.

EDIT.. Of course that is only if you have gas in the crank case.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll try to get after it tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that I smelled just a tiny hint of gas in the crank case...even though I can't see any in there.

Comment

Dont waste your time or energy with the manual turn over and all that crawling behind the bike it involves. Pull all the plugs and a rag over each hole..a few quick roll overs with the starter and your all set.

Drain the oil and a new filter...ride into the sunset and remember the petcock next time.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

My 2 cents. If it was on the side stand and your floats are working like they should, then the gas more thdn likely followed the path of least resistance out the vent tubes and into the air box. How much gas was in the tank? Why did you have it on prime in the first place? I never put it on prime unless, 1) I'm running out, and prayer isn't working on it's own, 2) I did run out and I need to PRIME the empty carbs, 3) Drain the tank. You say there is a hint of a gas smell in the oil or are you smelling the gas that's still in your airbox. It is right there in the same vacinity. If you haven't changed your oil in a while, then do so, you needed to anyway, but if it's been recient, then drain it and inspect it. You'll know if there is gas or not. You could find ways to syphone some oil out and inspect your findings. I have access to 60cc syringes and clear tubing, but just the clear tubing and your thumb over the end will work. Remember your parents telling you not to play with your soda as a kid when you were doing the same thing with a straw. Actually a straw would work if you had a one long enough. If it looks good put it back in. I would pull the plugs and put a clean shop rag over the holes and use the starter. The cranking speed will repell the fuel, if there is any, up onto the rag. If you do discover gas in the oil, then pull the filter and replace. Well I guess that might have been 3 cents worth, good luck and quit putting it on prime.
                      :cool:GSRick
                      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Yes, spin the engine over with the starter, once the plugs have been removed.

Just change the oil once. Any gas residues that remain in the crankcase will quickly evaporate once you take the bike on its next run. IMO, people get too anal about small amounts of fuel contamination.
                        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Alright, I pulled the plugs, covered the holes with rags and hit the start button. I was waiting for something spectacular to happen. One of the rags fell off....it had 5-10 drops worth of gas on it. All the other rags were dry as a bone. The rag with the 5-10 drops of gas was covering the far left cylinder(the same side that the bike leans when on the stand). I put the plugs back in and it started right up. White smoke came out of the left exhaust for 20-30 seconds then stopped.

The prime was on because I wasn't sure if the engine was getting gas(an earlier problem...) I just forgot to shut it off afterwards.

I really doubt there is any gas in the crank case. I'll probably change the oil anyway just to be safe.

Thanks for the help, guys! I sincerely appreciate your experience and willingness to help a guy out.

Comment

The smoke was probably raw fuel that got past the exhaust side burning off.
                            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Honest Mistake/Lesson Learned

Originally posted by ssanderson1 View Post
                              Alright, I pulled the plugs, covered the holes with rags and hit the start button. I was waiting for something spectacular to happen. One of the rags fell off....it had 5-10 drops worth of gas on it. All the other rags were dry as a bone. The rag with the 5-10 drops of gas was covering the far left cylinder(the same side that the bike leans when on the stand). I put the plugs back in and it started right up. White smoke came out of the left exhaust for 20-30 seconds then stopped.

The prime was on because I wasn't sure if the engine was getting gas(an earlier problem...) I just forgot to shut it off afterwards.

I really doubt there is any gas in the crank case. I'll probably change the oil anyway just to be safe.

Thanks for the help, guys! I sincerely appreciate your experience and willingness to help a guy out.

Thanks for sharing your story. The key point is to learn from a mistake and try not to repeat it.

As of now I try to keep a full tank at all times. I don't wanna switch the indicator unless I have to.

Ed
                              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Working...
                              X