Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How compatible are GS parts between years and models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How compatible are GS parts between years and models?

I've worked on cars for years, but I'm new to bikes and mine has a lot of odds-and-ends missing, such as the brakelight switch, the seat lock, the gas tank cover/lock, etc. I have a 1978 GS750, would most parts from 1978-80 probably fit? How about non-drivetrain parts from bikes like the 550?

I doubt that there's a simple answer, but I guess I'm wondering how much I'm rolling the dice on parts from a 1979 or similar.

Too many parts and variables. Some things like a few of the parts for the cam chain tensioner and the front brake light switches were used on just about every model of GS. One thing which is very helpful is the PartsFinder: All tool at Alpha-Sports.com's web site. You can cross-check part #'s to see what other models they were used on.

Comment

Hi,

Check the information on my little website. Look at the bottom of this page:

Charts: Battery, Plugs, Tire, Chain,
      Sprockets, Fork Tube Diameters,
      and Parts Cross-Reference

Suzuki used quite a few parts across different years/models. Sometimes a dissimilar part number will only mean a change in paint color but will still fit other models. Feel free to ask the forum for specifics that you can't find with the general cross-reference procedures.

For little accessories like gas caps and ignition switches, have a look at www.partsnmore.com. See your "mega-welcome" and my website for a lot of general information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Many parts from a 79 will interchange with a 78 750, they are essentially the same bike with detail changes

Not so with an 1980 750, tho

The brake light switch is widely used across many models, the gas cap, not so much
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Head to this site for help figuring out interchanging parts; ignore their pricing, ebay is your friend in this game- you'll make a few mistakes, but no biggie (just sell to someone else). Obviously, check Northeast Craigslisters- it's winter and the strippers need money. Glad to see that you are saving one from them

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X