Alternate Way to Check Oil Level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    why not drill a hole next to the sight glass level with the "full" mark on the glass.
    holding the bike upright, fill with oil until it dribbles out the hole.

tap the hole and put a small bolt in.
    This is what I've seen the the racers do with the lock up clutch covers.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Loads of bikes used the idea of filling with oil until it dribbled out of a hole, then sealed off with a bolt. It's simple, it works.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just like a Model T.

Comment

AT Steve,
          Might as well pull the jugs and do rings and cylinders- LoL
          Just keep digging while your in there!!!!!!

Comment

Try this after all the coffee has worn off and it's been a good day at work cause it'll try your patience.

Glue a very small piece of cloth to the end of a piece of wire (coat hanger). Dip it in your favorite cleaner. Put the bike on the side stand. Remove the oil fill cap. Bend the wire just right and fish it down and into the back of the sight glass. Might not get it all clean but should make it usable.

That's what I did.

Buddy
            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
            81 GS650G for the wife.
            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy View Post
              Try this after all the coffee has worn off and it's been a good day at work cause it'll try your patience.

Glue a very small piece of cloth to the end of a piece of wire (coat hanger). Dip it in your favorite cleaner. Put the bike on the side stand. Remove the oil fill cap. Bend the wire just right and fish it down and into the back of the sight glass. Might not get it all clean but should make it usable.

That's what I did.

Buddy
              thats ok until your bit of cloth gets snagged and falls off the wire, then its clutch cover off anyway.
              just do it the right way to begin with.......
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on this. A special thanks to Steve. I did just what you suggested, put the bike on the side stand and pulled the cover, cleaned the glass and didn't spill a drop of oil. I love this forum and I'm so glad I joined. Everybody is so willing to help, alot of humor combined with great suggestions, real experiences and good brotherhood.

Comment

The been there and done that experience makes things easy and you only need to do it right one time...that is if your humble enough to ask and follow directions.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I learned years ago in the Army that it is far better to ask a question, even dumb sounding questions, than to make a bad move and mess things up.

Comment

When I got to FT Hood after basic, they told me that the only 2 things from basic I needed to remember was to salute officers and to keep my uniform looking good. They were gonna teach me all about being a real soldier from then on.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                      X