fluids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fluids

This may be a novice question but, what fluids need to be checked/filled?
    I know about the brake fluid and the oil on the right side, but are there others and where?
    im also curious about the oil level indicator. What is it supposed to look like? I cant tell whether or not it is full?
    Only been riding since november so bear with me.

Fork oil is about the only other one I can think of.....Do you know how to use the search feature ? Search "oil sight glass" and search titles only, you will find a bunch of threads on the subject.

EDIT :: Are you asking where to check the oil ? If so, there's a glass window in the clutch cover. Put the bike on the centerstand and see where the oil comes up to....fill as required.
    Last edited by Larry D; 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by tenseventythree View Post
      I know about the brake fluid and the oil on the right side, but are there others and where?
      im also curious about the oil level indicator. What is it supposed to look like? I cant tell whether or not it is full?
      Tenseventythree, I live in Las Cruces, if you are up this way sometime, come by my work place and I can show you what you need to know. Check your PMs for my work place okay.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Do you have the Suzuki service manual for your bike? If not, get it from here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

There should be a section called "Periodic Maintenance". This tells you everything that needs to be done from time to time, and when. It's actually quite lengthy and includes much more than fluids. If you don't know the maintenance history of the bike, all of it needs to be done or at least checked over.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

i have the manual, i just cant tell anything by looking in the little glass.

Comment

Is the sight glass foggy or can you see through it? You should be able to see a star-shaped metal piece behind it, with oil between the glass and the metal piece. This is a different bike, but the sight glass should look something like this:

There are two marks, possibly labelled F and L. The top mark (F) is the maximum oil level, and the bottom one (L) is the minimum. The oil level should be somewhere between those two marks, but doesn't have to be precisely in the middle.

Like Larry D said, put the bike on the centerstand to check. Use a flashlight if you have to. If you see no oil in the sight glass, you're very low. If all you see is oil, then either it was overfilled, or you have gas leaking into the crankcase. (If that happens, search the forums for "gas in crankcase" and don't run the bike until you've changed the oil.)

(And you probably already know that checking the oil level is something you need to do before every ride.)
            Last edited by eil; 03-30-2013, 12:17 PM.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by tenseventythree View Post
              Make sure the blinker fluid is full and the muffler bearings are packed.

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                Make sure the blinker fluid is full and the muffler bearings are packed.
                Now, cableguy, what good is that information without proper links?

Blinker Fluid

Muffler Bearings

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Now, cableguy, what good is that information without proper links?

Blinker Fluid

Muffler Bearings

LOL you are correct Sir. On important matters such as this I have faith that you will fill in the gaps and remind us why you are known as the Great One.

Comment

ive head to take off the clutch cover and used a q-tip to clean that glass out so i could c where my oil level is at. got any pix of what your looks like?

Comment

Working...
                    X