Fastner Sizes - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fastner Sizes - HELP

The 1982 GS1100GL that I recently bought was a basket case with just about everything removed from the frame except the motor. The dellow I bought it from did not have any of the fastners that were removed when the bike was disassembled. They "some how" got lost. The problem I have is I don't know what size bolts or screws all these different parts require. I've looked through the service manual and the Suzuki parts fiches, but bolt and screw sizes aren't listed. Does anybody know of a source, chart or list of any kind that actually tells what size bolts, nuts,washers, screws and various fastners are required for all the parts of the bike? If there is no such listing, has anybody been in this position before and how did you handle it? Thanks all.

i believe the bolt size and length are actually part of the suzuki part number.

so this bolt for one of the engine mounts.....01107-08408, using the last 3 digits would be 40mm long and 8mm diameter thread.

i think that is the way it works anyway........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Actually, if you look at the parts fiche for the part number, the bolt size is encoded in it.

As an example, let's take a look at the starter cover in the lower left of your picture.
      The bolts that hold it down are part number 01547-05088.
      Look at the second half of the number, it tells you that it's a 5mm bolt that is 8mm long.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        i believe the bolt size and length are actually part of the suzuki part number.

so this bolt for one of the engine mounts.....01107-08408, using the last 3 digits would be 40mm long and 8mm diameter thread.

i think that is the way it works anyway........
        Not using the last three digits, it's the first four after the dash.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Not using the last three digits, it's the first four after the dash.

well i did say i think it was that way, but i still got the size right lol.....
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            well i did say i think it was that way, but i still got the size right lol.....
            You would not have been so lucky if you had chosen the same bolt that I did.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              You would not have been so lucky if you had chosen the same bolt that I did.

ahhhh, but i chose that particular bolt on purpose, just in case i was wrong.....
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Thanks fellows, I didn't know that about the part number revealing the bolt size. Now all I have to do is spend a day or two going through every parts fiche looking for the bolts I need. At least I have a source now. I still wish there was a simple list of bolts, but I'm not that lucky.

Comment

I have a list of all the bolts, but unfortunately it's for a 1983 GS750E, so I am not sure how much if any it would help you out....

Comment

There are a few that don't encode the part number, but sometimes it's part of the description.

It's worthwhile to check a few different online fiches if you're having trouble -- some were encoded a little differently. Some don't list obsolete part numbers, and some do.

http://alpha-sports.com <== unholy prices, but they list original part numbers and you can trace the supercession history of a part number if needed.

Nice fiche, good prices.

Shop our large selection of Suzuki Motorcycle OEM parts, original equipment manufacturer parts and more online or call at (231)737-4542

You can punch in a part number and it will show you which models used the part. Often useful. This vendor has a history of inflated shipping costs, so watch it.

Also, for fasteners bear in mind that Suzukis use JIS sizes, not DIN/SAE. That means, for example, that 10mm and 12mm threads use a 1.25mm thread pitch, that 8mm fasteners use a 12mm wrench and not 13mm, 10mm fasteners use a 14mm wrench and not 17mm, and that many bolts are flanged, not just a plain hex head.

Good sources for fasteners include:
                    http://boltdepot.com (no JIS goodies, but you can order any quantity you need)
                    http://mcmaster.com (no JIS again, but good prices on bulk quantities)

For JIS fasteners there are a few suppliers, but I haven't used any. You can find many JIS fasteners in auto parts stores -- they're used on all Japanese and Korean vehicles. Hardware stores usually only stock DIN/SAE fasteners, although you can find some "fine thread" items in 10mm and above. Home stores usually carry little to no metric hardware at all.

Avoid BikeBandit -- they use their own doofy part number obfuscation scheme that makes their site completely useless.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 04-02-2013, 11:56 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Gatekeeper, please send me your list, its better than nothing. I'm sure some of the fastners are the same. Its a good starting point anyways.
                      Bwringer, thank you so much for the info and resources. I wasn't aware of the differences in bolts. Metric is confusing enough, but to have 2 metric systems makes it even more confusing.
                      Thanks to all who offered their help.

Comment

Mine wasn't a basket case, but did have the fenders, turn signals, and some other stuff removed when I bought it. The seller said he had all of the bolts in a bucket somewhere and would call me in a couple weeks when he found it. Of course, I wasn't expecting him to and he never did.

I don't know much about bolt sizes and whatnot so what I did was sort through my collection of old bolts and screws. Then I went to the local hardware store and bought an assortment to fill in what I didn't have. Armed with my new mostly-complete collection of random bolts, I was able to test them out on various parts to get the length and threads right, then I bought proper fasteners for everything that needed reattaching. There were a few parts that didn't work with anything that I had, for these I bought the fasteners from the fiche whenever I was ordering something else.

Yes, this is likely the hard way, but it worked for me.

Another tip: if you're going to be tearing into the engine at all (clutch, stator, ignition, etc) Z1 Enterprises probably sells a stainless steel bolt kit for your engine. These are much better than the soft easily-stripped factory screws.
                        Charles
                        --
                        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          http://alpha-sports.com <== unholy prices, but they list original part numbers and you can trace the supercession history of a part number if needed.

Avoid BikeBandit -- they use their own doofy part number obfuscation scheme that makes their site completely useless.
                          You want a quick example?

We are getting ready to finish up "Rat Bagger" and need to order emblems for the tank and side covers.
                          I did my usual comparison shopping between Alpha Sports, Bike Bandit, Boulevard Suzuki, Cycle Parts Nation, G&S Suzuki, Motogrid, MR Cycles, Part Shark and, on Brian's suggestion, Westfield Powersports.

The shopping list was for two tank emblems and the screws that hold them on, and for two side cover emblems, along with the clips that hold them.

Not going to list the results from all the vendors, but some of them list a "Retail" price for comparison. The total "Retail" price for these items was $110.28.
                          Bike Bandit has their own version of "Retail", it was $121.32, but their "discounted" total was $111.52, which is still higher than what everyone else considers "Retail".

Alpha was highest, as usual, at $130.18, G&S was lowest (typical for me) at $81.44. Brian, Westfield came in at $92.40, so there is no incentive for me to order from them.

None of these prices include shipping.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X