Speedo Cable Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Cable Issues

Hey folks, just thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone may have any thoughts, I have been chewing through Speedomoter cables as of late, on my 82 550 Kat and not sure why. I did have the tires replaced last year or so and the arrow on the hub seems to be pointing in the up position as it's suppose to be, but one observance I have noticed that there does seem to be quite a tight fit at the wheel end, by that I mean I do have to use a little effort to work the assembly into the hub to tighten it down, and to me it appears to be more angle on the cable, perhaps causing too much strain on it causing it to snap. Is the hub oriented correctly? And now that the cable isn't an OEM available part anymore, (though I did find a replacement through Motion Pro) Im still perplexed as to why I would be going through them so fast. Thanks guys for any thoughts and suggestions! Be safe!

sweetp

Can you post a pic of cable at speedo hub end? Are these cables breaking in about same spot?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hey Tom, yes actually it does seem to be breaking in the same spot, right at the hub area. Here is the pic you requested...Thank you!

Comment

Thanks Grand! I appreciate the input! I'll give that a try!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge
          Rotate the speedo drive assembly so that the cable goes straight. As shown, cable binds and wears quickly.

Motion Pro cables are more than fine.

That seemed to do the trick...
          Thanks Grand!

Comment

Working...
          X