Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chain replacement? Could use some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain replacement? Could use some advice...

Hi all. I have an '80 GS1100E that is nearing time for a replacement chain. According to the chart out of BassCliff's site, my bike takes a 630-96 (whatever that means) and 15/42 for gearing. I fully intend on replacing the front and rear sprockets at the same time I replace the chain. Not sure what's on there now, but I'm just going to count teeth and buy the same thing. But what about the chain? O-ring? Non-o-ring? 630 vs 530? How many links? Can anyone give me a quick rundown on what I am looking for and why? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that stuck out like THE chain replacement thread.

Thanks!

630-96 means a 630 chain with 96 links. 15/42 is 15 tooth front and 42 teeth rear sprocket.
    if you stick with the 630 make sure all 3 numbers are the same, (links, f+r teeth) with the new kit.

a 530 replacement is a popular mod as the kit is usually cheaper,stronger and a lot lighter than a 630 set up. a 530 kit comes as a conversion kit and the number of links and the sprocket teeth sizes will be different.

i would go for the 530 conversion personally.......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

and if you still need even more clarification or information.....

give the guys at Z1Enterprises a call on the phone, they will assist you......

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
        and if you still need even more clarification or information.....

give the guys at Z1Enterprises a call on the phone, they will assist you......

Better yet
        Call them and order the conversion. Great customer service and prices.
        You can't go wrong.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You will also have a lot more choices with a 530 chain. 630 chains are dinosaurs.

Comment

You can change your gearing by installing different size sprockets within reason. I use my GS1000 for long rides, and by gearing higher was able to drop the highway cruising rpm by 1000 revs, which makes it quieter, saves wear, and saves fuel. Figure out what you want it to do, and gear accordingly.

I used a 15 front and 42 rear. Stock I think was 15 45.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC10 View Post
              You can change your gearing by installing different size sprockets within reason. I use my GS1000 for long rides, and by gearing higher was able to drop the highway cruising rpm by 1000 revs, which makes it quieter, saves wear, and saves fuel. Figure out what you want it to do, and gear accordingly.
              Do you recall what the stock gearing was and what you changed it to? I want to do the same to one of my bikes (82 1100e). I too want to drop about 1000 rpm.
              1982 GS1000S Katana
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                Do you recall what the stock gearing was and what you changed it to? I want to do the same to one of my bikes (82 1100e). I too want to drop about 1000 rpm.
                With a 630 chain run a 40 tooth rear.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                  The picture below is is of a Z1 530 conversion (I sold it because it doesn't work on the GSXR conversion)

There is a table with various gear and gear ratio options. I chose 48 with 16 and 17 for a stock and a 7% ac cell boost. You don't want to be any smaller than 16 on the front.

Comment

I did the conversion on my 750 last year and I'm very happy with it.
                    Just got my new chain and sprockets from z1 yesterday for my 83 1100e.
                    630 was 96 links 15 front and 42 rear
                    Went to 530 and the new numbers to stay as close to stock gearing as possiable was..
                    18 front and 50 rear sprockets
                    for the chain I went 120 links, wiil need 116.

ps don't forget the spacer needed for the fron sprocket if going with the 530 conversion. If you deal with Z1 they won't let you forget.
                    Last edited by trevor; 05-15-2013, 08:45 PM.
                    No signature

Comment

Working...
                    X