Contact cleaner ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact cleaner ?

What kind of cleaner will remove the dark grey/grey oxidation on my brass connectors ( delicate already broke one fuse holder clip ). Electrical cleaner and small brush not working. Don't want to mess with hydro flouric acid which was mentioned as a cleaner. Thanks

you can use naval jelly available at most any autoparts store washes off with water.

There was a post abut an expensive cleaner with that also leaves a water protective coating but I seem to have lost the Amazon link to it.

Maybe a search will find it.

A quick search under "contact cleaner" posts and I found it.

This looks like the right stuff to use and can be sprayed careful on any old contracts with no need to flow solder into the crimps.

I think I would still solder my R/R connections but for everything else this looks like the good stuff.

Thanks Bluewool for the reco.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I would agree that a de-oxidizer is what you want. I would avoid corrosives at all costs.

Comment

Found some rust remover different brand than naval jelly but probably chemically the same at Orielly's Auto. Put in on, wait 5-10 min rinse with water. Came shiny like brand new. Thanks for tip guys.

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
          Found some rust remover different brand than naval jelly but probably chemically the same at Orielly's Auto. Put in on, wait 5-10 min rinse with water. Came shiny like brand new. Thanks for tip guys.
          If you don't use something like detox or flow some solder into the critical joints or use some dielectric grease at least it will just corrode again. This is where the detox makes sense in that it coats the whole crimp including inside without any further muss.

Comment

Working...
          X