Drain Plug Tightening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drain Plug Tightening

I changed my oil and now my drain plug won't tighten up. I screw it in and it starts to snug down ans then breaks free and turns easily, so I turn it some more and it starts to get tight and then, again, it breaks free and turns freely. Is there a trick to get the drain plug to tighten down all the way or do i have to get a new oil pan?

Did you replace the gasket? I believe there is a crushing gasket here. Needs to be replaced with oil. Might do the trick.
    If you stripped the thread, there is an "underplug" you can put instead. I read that somewhere here... You also have kinda spring shaped thingies that would allow you to shift to a smaller plug size.
    Don't worry, you shouldn't need to replace the whole pan.
    I don't know much but I was there a few weeks ago.

EDIT: yeah, search "stripped plug" round here, lotsa treads
    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I had a temp plug in my GS1000S and I purchased this kit, it worked very well, just make sure the tap is in straight before you start cutting the new thread.
      You can also use some high temp RTV caulking to secure it in there.

Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM.
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

You can get a helicoil at your local auto parts store. I think it's a 14mm but you'll want to search the forum and verify that.

Or, you can try to find a new pan on Ebay or someone here.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

or an oversized bolt that will cut itself new threads...

something like this

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Comment

Originally posted by GateKeeper View Post
            or an oversized bolt that will cut itself new threads...

something like this

Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

When I got my bike, the PO had stripped the drain plug thread. He said it just needed a fresh crush washer, but I found out otherwise when I went to change the oil.

I got one of the oversize plugs with the piggyback plug in it. I used the oversize plug to cut the threads, cleaned all the shavings up, and then used some epoxy on the plug itself. So now the pan has new threads, and it's stuck in there so there's no chance of stripping it out again. I use the piggyback to drain the oil, and it's actually a little easier because it comes out slower, so when you pull the plug it doesn't dump hot oil all over your hand/wrench/etc.

Comment

That sounds ideal, where do I find one of those and what size do I buy?

Comment

here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Help-Parts-S...5#ht_424wt_679

and I am sure your local automotive store will have one as well, probably a 14mm ? give or take....

Comment

Just go to your local auto parts store, get an oversize plug, M14x1.50.

Please don't use ANY silicone, even the high-temp stuff anywhere near your oil system.

Warning, they are TERRIBLY expensive. At my local store, they are $2.99.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

After stripping the sump in a race motor, the best advice I ever heard came from my motor builder.... "Paul, that's not the bolt that holds the motorcycle together. It only has to hold back a little bit of oil and not fall out".

Comment

Originally posted by retcol View Post
                      I changed my oil and now my drain plug won't tighten up. I screw it in and it starts to snug down ans then breaks free and turns easily, so I turn it some more and it starts to get tight and then, again, it breaks free and turns freely. Is there a trick to get the drain plug to tighten down all the way or do i have to get a new oil pan?
                      Sent you a PM.
                      Last edited by mrbill5491; 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks everybody for all of your help and suggestions. This is a great forum!

Comment

Working...
                        X