Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does this seller's GS850 look to your trained eyes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this seller's GS850 look to your trained eyes?

Hello, I am a new user, you can read my introduction here.

Could I have your opinion on a GS850 someone is selling? In my search for a first bike I came across this ad for an '82 GS850:

(If it doesn't work for, you: click here.)

Translation of the relevant Dutch information:
    "For sale, very well maintained and running motorcycle"
    The engine is in good condition and equipped with a fairing.
    The parts for when you have the fairing removed will be provided as well.
    A mileage of 67k kilometers converts to roughly 42k miles. Year listed as 1982. Three bids have been placed, two of them (€300&325, roughly 400 USD) are a month old from the time the ad was placed, the last bid was 3 days ago (€350, roughly 400 USD). The seller entered an asking price of €850, which equals 1100 USD. (Seems like it would go for a nice low price, possibly because not using the bike's model name in his ad made it seem like very few people would be interested..)

I think the fairing is a pretty ugly thing. But when I asked a mate if he could decipher what model bike this is (it's not even mentioned in the ad!), we guessed and googled the GS850 and we started to find some pictures of really cool bikes! It seemed all-round enough model for a beginner, it has a cool muscle look, it appears to be pretty durable, plus it has a large community on some weird little GSR website! :P

However, it looks like a lot has been replaced or modified on this specific bike. And after reading extensive lists of potential weaknesses (many due to bad or lack of maintenance or other 'user errors') on GSR, I was starting to wonder what all these modifications really mean. My mechanical experience is practically zero (fixing my own bicycle and watching over a flatmate's shoulder when he did some small jobs on his CX500), so even if I would bring along a big list of things to check, I would probably not be able to judge if the previous owners have completely ruined this bike, or have actually maintained it well and resolved some major downsides, making it extra awesome.

Modifications from stock that I spotted so far:
    1. An ugly fairing, but it can be removed easily.
    2. A seat with no grab rail above the pillion, but it appears to be in good shape.
    3. Silly handlebars (did they think it would become a racer with this? :P)
    4. The rear shocks are non-stock black things. Any clue what these are? Is it possible to spot from the photos if these could be better, stiffer or maybe even progressive?
    5. Do I spot the non-stock addition of a fork brace? I've read that these are generally an improvement.
    6. *(K&N?) pod filters instead of airbox. I have no clue... Is this an improvement?
    7. *exhaust looks very non-standard. Can any information be gotten from just the photos? Does it look like these would improve or decrease the performance?
      Does this type of exhaust have specific effects on the sound?
    8. Because the majority of the differences between the GS850G and GS850GL (seat, handlebars, silencers) have been replaced with something else, I'm not sure what type this is? Is this the smaller GL tank or the G tank? The butt of the bike (rear light in plastics) suggests this is the G model, but on the G850G I expected the (IMO much better looking!) tank with the 'knee dents', or is that specific to some years?

Anything I missed? Any more relevant information that can be deduced from these photos?

*I assume swapped exhausts and airfilters mean the carbs must/should have been adjusted? Is there a way to see if this has been done (properly), other than just seeing if it runs? I think I don't have the experience to be able to judge how well it runs just from a test ride and listening to it, unless I can find very specific instructions on what to try and listen for.

From GSR I get the impression that the electrics are an achilles' heel of these models. Besides seeing if the bike starts, what can I do to diagnose the electrics, see if the stator or maybe the whole wiring would need to be replaced?

I know I could (normally) bother the seller with many of these questions, but besides the fact that he might represent the truth simply because he wants to see it, I think that most of these modifications were not done by the current owner. New exhaust, new rear springs, new saddle, added forkbrace, that adds up to a significant amount of money invested, would you leave all of that unmentioned in your advertisement? I think not. I think the current owner bought it as-is and doesn't really have a clue about the modifications. So I would prefer to be informed and prepared before I would actually contact and visit the seller for a ride and a potential transaction.

I hope to buy a running bike that is safe enough to ride as-is and then slowly start learning my way around bike mechanics, doing one or two clean/fix/replace/maintain/repair jobs every week, until I have been over the whole bike. The ad claims it has been very well maintained, but who knows what that means in reality? Doing these jobs myself will help me confirm the real state of the bike, will let me know the bike and it will give me a chance to learn a lot .

I hope most of these will doable by a beginner, without a lot of costs, without having my bike not-running for more than a day (or two) at a time.

(I am 6'4", I assume it's suitable for tall riders? Any experiences?)

So do you think this could be a good bike? Any potential flaws or nice tweaks as far as you can spot from the photos? Other tips or things to watch (out) for?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2013, 09:17 AM. Reason: Added a mirror and changed 6'2"-->6'4". I grew! Or maybe it was just a conversion error...

it looks like a clean example, the mods seem to have been well done so i guess the owner knows what he is doing, or as you say, bought it from someone who did.

the fork brace is a popular add on, as are the pods and tail pipes. the carbs on some GS models can be a right bitch to remove with stock airbox in place.
    the fairing does not look too bad but as it comes with all the bits to remove it and revert back to stock, that wont be a problem.

i would ask him what sort of maintenance history he can provide and also, the ONLY thing i think makes the ad a bit dodgy is that all 3 pics are of the left hand side, not one from the right side. is he hiding something? maybe nothing but you never know!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

That's a nice looking 850, it's not a 850L. The L has the smaller tank and a chrome rear fender

It's set up as a sport touring bike, which is what the 850 was intended to be.

The modifications appear to be first rate, so I would suspect those are upgraded shocks. It's an interesting fairing, some brand not sold here in the States

If you want to go long distances at high speed, that's the machine to do it with

If he really has the headlight brackets, bucket and other parts to restore the bike if you remove the fairing, it's a pretty easy change over.

The 850 isn't really a muscle bike (depends on your definition) as it is the heaviest GS and has adequate power

But if you want a motorcycle, that would be a good one. Expect to add another 2-300 euros for maintenance items, tools, tires etc
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That's a long post - I'll see what I can cover.

It looks tidy enough. If it's as good in the flesh as the photos suggest it's a decent price for Europe - the Yanks will all say it's too expensive but they don't live here!

Somebody has loved that bike and spent some money on it by the looks of things.

I quite like the fairing - unusual on a G as well. Matter of taste though so if you don't like it that's up to you.

Ace bars - will give the bike a more sporty look. You can sell them for more money than standard type bars will cost you.

The rear shocks look like Konis though it's hard to tell from the photo. If they are it's a very good upgrade. The fork brace looks like a Micron but again not easy to tell for sure from the photo. Another very good upgrade.

They could be K&N pods or might be no-name generics. I wouldn't consider either an upgrade on an 850 in particular while others might say K&Ns are - as long as the bike has had the carbs set up properly. She'll run like poo if they haven't been done.

The exhaust is non-standard. I've no idea what make it is (possibly bespoke) but it looks well made. It might be noisy or it might be quiet.

The tank is the standard G tank for that year. The later years got the indents. The bike looks like a GS850GT - 1980 model year.

Aside from putting a multimeter across the battery when the bike is running there's not a lot you do to test the electrics (apart from check it starts ok and the lights works of course). However, even if there is a problem it's easy and pretty cheap to put right.

No problem with your height on that bike - you'll be able to touch the ground and you won't feel cramped.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Greeetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jjwa,

I love the paint jobs on the non-US bikes. We didn't get any cool factory paint. I even like that style fairing, very sporty for an old standard UJM. The ad in your link is for a 1980 GS850GT or 1981 GS850GX. Engine or frame number research could be more exact. What does the bike's paperwork say?

Hopefully the carbs have been re-jetted for the modified intake and exhaust. You really can't get that much more power out of an 850 with these mods, but it doesn't hurt (if configured properly) and makes getting the carbs off and on easier with the pods. Yes, the shocks are not stock but I don't know the manufacturer. The fork brace, while some think is unnecessary on this type of bike, doesn't hurt either. I have a fork brace on my 850.

If it's been properly cared for and is in "push the button and ride" condition then I think $1000 USD is not an unreasonable price. Condition is everything. The more you have to do to get the bike roadworthy, the more you should try to negotiate the price down. You will still need to address all of the usual maintenance items, if for nothing else than to give yourself peace of mind. Does the previous owner have maintenance records? Check the age of the tires. Check the charging system, change all the fluids, check the brake pad wear, etc. The maintenance list is in your "mega-welcome" below. All the items on the list must be properly addressed in order to have a safe and reliable motorcycle. Here you go...

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
          Help! Your Bike Won't Start
          DON'T DO THESE THINGS
          Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
          Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Some nice replies already, thanks! Sounds generally positive .

Some things have been mentioned by several people already, so my reactions in this message may be a bit messy/overlapping/out of order, I hope you can still follow it :P. In the hopes of making stuff easier to read or find, I bolded keywords.

Thanks for the information dump Cliff, I have browsed through most that information already before I registered on the forums. It's what showed me that 1) enough is known about these GSs to be able to learn to maintain/remedy a lot (although sourcing parts might be difficult from here) 2) I don't yet know enough about this model and should ask you guys about this advert .

Good point about the maintenance history, especially if that goes back to the previous owner or whoever did all the modifications.

Bringing a multimeter sounds like a good plan, I can borrow one. What should I measure? Voltage, to see if it dips significantly below 11~12 volts when running the high beam plus some other lights? Remember I have no experience with any of this, so some things may have to be spelled out a little more than you might be used to .

If the carbs are not set up properly, is that a difficult job for a beginner? Does it require special equipment? Would it take the motorcycle repair shop more than an hour? If it's an important (but difficult to fix) factor and the only thing that would have to be done professionally, that would be acceptable. If this bike is as sweet as you guys make it seem, it would be worth it to make it run just right .

Maintenance-wise, replacing all fluids was already planned, seems wise for any newly-bought decades-old bike. I will try to get an estimation of remaining lifetime on the tires and brake pads before buying the bike. And GSR has a ton of maintenance information, even the list from Cliff's welcome sounds like months (or at least weeks) of work for a noob like me :P.

I have already collected a general set of tools (small+big ratchet + sockets, wrenches, torque wrench). What size spark plug socket would I need? (I now have 16mm and 21mm ones.)

The bars and fairing are something I would simply try out to see what I like . I wonder if the fairing could be sold nicely if I decide not to use it (but that will be easier to find out when I know the type of fairing). I will probably end up taking the fairing off and using a bit more standard bars.

The exhaust appears to be an 'unknown factor' I guess. But if the sound isn't terrible, if they don't leak and the carbs are set up properly, there is not much that could be bad there, right?

I like the looks of the tank with indents, it makes the bike look more 'square' or something, just like on some of the Yamaha XJR bikes . Maybe someday I can find one from a parts bike for an acceptable price, or swap with someone. Maybe even repaint an indented tank and the bike's plastics to a color scheme I like more, for example the black with blue accents, like in the pictures I linked in the first post. How blasphemous would it be to put on the tank and color scheme from the wrong (and not-matching) years? :P

It appears this bike has already been repainted before. The paint scheme extends to the fairing, which is an aftermarket fairing. The bike has a color scheme I can't find on any list and the style of the stickers/decals are unlike any I see on other pictures of GS850s.

While digging up model history and paint information I also figured it's probably the 1981 GS850GX model, this list mentions rectangular turn signals, which this one has (on the rear, because these front signals probably came with the fairing instead of the bike).

I have not seen any official paperwork, I will check out the framenumber if I visit the bike. Some officially registered stuff can be found on https://ovi.rdw.nl/ by entering the license plate (MD 37 KD). Some information I found there is:
            The bike was first 'admitted' in The Netherlands in 1982 (import or sales date, not production date). The last time it sold was in '98, so the current owner bought it as a 17 year old bike and has had it for 15 years now (unless things were not correctly registered of course). It weighs 253kg (558lbs) empty and 260kg (573lbs) when 'riding-ready' and at least 90% fueled up. And the strangest thing: they list 44 kW (roughly 59 horsepower) as it's "maximum net power"??? Specifications on the web show 57 kW (and 77 horsepower) for this bike. I don't know what to make of this... Maybe those numbers are talking about two very different things or different ways of measuring and it means nothing. Maybe it was running terribly and requires a large overhaul. But if I find more evidence of such possible issues maybe I should have an independent professional look at it before/after buying to make sure things check out.

Comment

What to look for with your mulitmeter:

Setting up the carbs might be tricky. You can give it a decent test though. It should idle pretty steadily at about 1000rpm and pick up crisply without popping or spitting. If you can test ride it then it shouldn't splutter and hesitate neither should it surge. How long to set up depends on the shop; you might struggle to find anyone interested in doing it nowadays.

As for the paint - that's a standard scheme and colour and it looks like the fairing was painted to match.

It could be a GX or a GT. They're the same thing - I don't think they even bothered to change the decals on that model change.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                What to look for with your mulitmeter:

Setting up the carbs might be tricky. You can give it a decent test though. It should idle pretty steadily at about 1000rpm and pick up crisply without popping or spitting. If you can test ride it then it shouldn't splutter and hesitate neither should it surge. How long to set up depends on the shop; you might struggle to find anyone interested in doing it nowadays.

As for the paint - that's a standard scheme and colour and it looks like the fairing was painted to match.

It could be a GX or a GT. They're the same thing - I don't think they even bothered to change the decals on that model change.
                The carb test sounds very usable . The stator fault chart is too extensive to execute on a seller's bike before buying it, but still very informative and good for afterwards.

Do you have a list of the years/schemes/paints/colours? I was unable to find one that had the scheme of this bike on it.

Comment

you can easily do a Quick Test, but that bike looks so clean if you are in the market I would grab it. If the fairing looks a little queek that is called "Old School" and most here will think it uis pretty cool. I do for sure and I dont really like fully faired bikes.

Buy the bike based on the owner. He probably know much more about that bike than you do and cared for it as it was his baby. Thats what it looks like. You will just **** him off questioning everything. If it has any faults they are probably minor.

Comment

My first GS was an 850 and I really loved it. After touring on vertical twins and two strokes, the 850 seemed like a dream. It was also my first shaft drive bike.

I don't think the paint scheme is too bad, but the fairing I don't know about....
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                    1979 GS1000

Comment

For some reason, I can't see the ad, the link takes me to an Opel Corsa.

The 850 is mild enough for a beginner, but keep in mind that it is physically LARGE, as it shares the same frame as the 1000G and 1100G. It was also the heaviest GS made, until the 1100GK was released.

Is it suitable for your small-ish 6 feet, 2 inches? Should be, I am 6' 5" and ride mine rather comfortably. I have even done a few weekend rides with my wife on the back, so there is plenty of room and power for two-up riding.

Since the others are saying that your potential bike is set up for touring, feel free to click on the links in my signature to see how my bikes are set up.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The 850 is mild enough for a beginner, but keep in mind that it is physically LARGE, as it shares the same frame as the 1000G and 1100G. It was also the heaviest GS made, until the 1100GK was released.

Is it suitable for your small-ish 6 feet, 2 inches? Should be, I am 6' 5" and ride mine rather comfortably. I have even done a few weekend rides with my wife on the back, so there is plenty of room and power for two-up riding.

Since the others are saying that your potential bike is set up for touring, feel free to click on the links in my signature to see how my bikes are set up.

The pictures seem to eventually come up.

It has a very nicely done paint job with matching fairing colors.

Last edited by posplayr; 05-15-2013, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I got 2 inches taller! Or actually... when you said "small-ish" I thought "Hey! I'm not!", I checked the numbers and realized I made a mistake. I am 6'4" instead of 6'2" :P.
                          (So when did you say the US is going to convert to the metric system? )

Strange that the ad doesn't work for you. Here are the pics: http://imgur.com/a/bGk1j

Nice set ups! That's an impressive family fleet.

I did not specifically choose to buy a touring bike. I am buying a bike for all my transportation needs that my bicycle and my own two feet don't cover. From running errands in the city (when I am too lazy to take the bicycle :P), to day trips, to a 14 day camping trip in Scandinavia.

Also, it will be my first bike, so I don't really have any experience yet with what I like in riding style and setup.

I would like to start out with something that is naked or at most a half/sport fairing, to try that out. But if for any reasons I do end up riding significant lengths of highway, fairings are probably simply the most comfortable way to do it . So it would actually be pretty good if I would end up with a bike that comes with fairing but can be used without. Which is usually easy enough to change, only need a headlight, turn signals and mounting for then.

I figured panniers would also be practical for me because it's an easy (and somewhat safe and rainproof) way to leave most of your gear on your bike when you go for a daytrip or have a meeting. And I could just take them off if I go for a shorter sportier ride.

Add that up to the fact that I want a reliable bike and one that can do highway speeds decently and you can see why it's generally touring bikes that end up on my list . It's not specifically what I like the most, they are just very practical!

Comment

Damn that is a really cool fairing. I want one for my 850G .

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that at all. I paid 1200 USD for my GS, it was my first bike too. I am 5'-8" and a slight 135 lbs, but I have no issues with the 850's size or mass. The power is perfect for a new rider because it teaches you to be smooth, which is the secret to being fast and safe.

It is also really simple to work on. I grew up wrenching on stuff so I found it fairly simple. There are a few tricks about being careful not to strip the old soft aluminum threads, and not to snap the bolts, but if you are careful you can easily maintain it yourself.

As others said maintenance is important on older bikes because the service intervals are much shorter than newer bikes. So be prepared to get a few basic tools and familiarize yourself with their use.

Just as a reference I took my 850G on a coast-to-coast-to-coast ride last summer. We covered 8,000 miles in 21 days. When I got home all I wanted to do was ride some more.

Lots of guys here love their 850's. I'm among them. Also welcome to the site.

Comment

Mine had the rear rack and made a great commuter bike. At least it takes up some room on the road!
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1352313915
                              1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X