Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How rare is my 1976 GS750?

Hello everyone!

I picked up a project bike a few weeks ago and only recently started working on it. Today I discovered that it may be quite uncommon. According to http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/GS750.shtml, it appears as though this bike, being manufactured in July of 76 (according to the frame stamp) and having a single disc front brake, means it is one of the very first bikes off the line. The serial number is 10435, so I assume it's number 435 out of production, right?

So - exactly how uncommon does this make this bike? Are there tons of 76's out there?

Here are a couple quick photos - I do have the side covers as well - a very complete original gem with 20k miles and good compression/all electronics thus far determined.

Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2013, 12:42 AM.

Think that's a '77. Not rare. Not valuable (sadly). Just a really nice bike that will run 100,000 miles if you do some maintenance.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As I mentioned, frame and single disc are indicating '76.
      In a restored condition, what would one expect this to be worth?
      Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

It was number 434..frame numbers started at 10001. Historically significant in that it was Suzukis saving grace in getting them into the inline 4 market and keeping them a viable motorcycle company.

However, I do see a set of replaced grips and a 78 750 E seat on it. Click on my avatar and sellect the album. The only things that arent stock are the seat cover. I had a lady recreate a new one using the old seat as a pattern.

She didnt have the heat stamping ability to recreate the "stitching" so she sewed it in.

The guy I had paint it also painted the chain guard..which I didnt know till i went to pick up the tins. The chain guard should have been repainted black.

The name of the paint is Pearl Black Bluing. I think I have the paiont code in mjy files somewhere if you want it. Go to the search and type in Pearl Black Bluing. At one time i did post the info, so maybe that old thread might pop up.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Awesome, Chuck - thanks for the information.

So in a running and riding condition with serviced everything (carbs, brakes, tires, battery etc) what do you think a fair market value might be on this bike?

As you mentioned, they're pretty significant machines to Suzuki history, although nothing like first year CB750 fame.

Comment

Here...

1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

In restored condition and fully stock..I would say in the range of 1,500 to 1,800. Then again, maybe more to the right person. definitely, youll get more for it on Ebay than the lowballers here will say its worth.

Comment

You should have told him the VIN wasn't the engine number, but the chassis number.
                That was like 10764.... so #764 off the line....wonder what the title says?
                Scott
                1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                sigpic

Comment

Good looking rider without pressing needs, I would say &1200 to $2000, depending upon how clean, and who wants it. A barely runner with needs, $500 to $900

Hacksaw ready, soon to be in a "build" thread, $300

Just my opinion based upon what I see, and what I've paid for my 850s and thousands.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by splazoid View Post
                    As I mentioned, frame, title, and single disc are indicating '76.
                    In a restored condition, what would one expect this to be worth?
                    No, they actually don't indicate anything of value. Just an early 750.

Not worth what it costs to restore.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This bike is on ebay...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GS-GS...US_motorcycles

How can this be a '76 when it's made so late in the model year and with such a low S/N?
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Earlier note I sent to seller, back in early April-

Dear ultramotorsource,

I worked for a Suzuki dealer then, and I can tell you that you are misinformed, and, are also misinforming potential buyers. You state that the VIN # is 10435, when in fact, that is only the engine #, not the VIN. The VIN #s are only found on the frame, right behind the headlight. The mfg date may well be mid 1976, (you don't show it), but it is still a 1977 model, there was NEVER a 1976 model GS. The handlebars are not original, and the seat is off a 1978 GS750E, the cast alloy wheel model. The engine badges are not present because the engine's been run so hot (the blueing of the exhaust pipes), that the original badges have peeled off. Trust me, I've seen it. The front side reflectors are in the wrong place, they should be on the chrome lower fork cover, and have clearly been used to hold the headlight on, instead of the original chrome bolts. The bike MAY have been a dealer demo model, but without some form of verification, I don't believe you can state it as such

And his reply-

Thank you for the interest in classic motorcycles!

I'll try to go over each of your concerns systematically, but let me know if I leave anything out.

We are obligated to state the VIN by the number on the vehicle title which is GS75010435, and that information is accurate.

As shown, the frame date is 7/1976.

As for the bars, seat, reflectors, etc. there is no misinformation presented which would incorrectly state that they are original, correctly positioned, etc.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so we've included 65 high-res photos and even a video; there ought to be no misunderstandings.

As for the historicity of this unit, the information provided was supported by a number of highly informed members of the GSresources forum, as well as the detailed information on SuzukiCycles.org.

As I was not a part of the industry when this bike was released, you are certainly going to be more informed than I am.

Similarly, if you've worked with a dealership before, you should be aware that all dealers statements are "to the best of our knowledge".

There is always a the potential that some of our statements are inaccurate, on every bike we sell, but we have done our very best to be as informed as possible, and have forwarded the research findings on to potential buyers for their scrutiny.

Thanks again, and ride smart.

Miles
                        Ultra Motor Source

(I love the disclaimer about 'best of our knowledge')
                        Last edited by recycled64; 05-18-2014, 10:35 PM.
                        sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                        '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                        '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                        '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                        '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                        '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                        '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                        '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                        '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                        '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

moron...utter f ing moron.
                          the clutch cable is so short because of the wrong handlebars that it runs on the outside of the tank....
                          moron...
                          i hope the seller reads this...oh did i mention moron?

Comment

and.......and.........
                            and...........
                            moron, any vehicle produced after the 6th month is considered the next year model.
                            7/1976=1977........moron
                            geeeesh

Comment

and..............
                              single disc dealer demo only rare super rare....more like super BS...moron!

Comment

Working...
                              X