Bike shut off while riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike shut off while riding

I know I've read about this here before, but the search function is not working for me right now so please bear with me. Bike is an '82 gs450 and it shut off on me yesterday while riding (35mph). I found that the negative wire from the battery to the frame had been rubbing and had almost rubbed through, so I replaced that today. It started great, but died at anything other than full choke, then wouldn't start at all. Any thoughts?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

Has all the maintenance been performed? What maintenance? Your "mega-welcome" will have all the necessary maintenance tasks.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
    Help! Your Bike Won't Start
    DON'T DO THESE THINGS
    Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
    Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You joined this funhouse a year ago and only one post? Was bike running well before this? or are you just getting it out?
      I see Basscliff has found you- head his way.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have been pretty shy, for sure. Truth be told, I have found all of the answers I've been looking for in past threads, and on Basscliff's site (thanks, by the way). Got the bike a couple of years ago, carbs were dipped many times (including this winter), new petcock, cleaned the inside of the tank, replaced the starter relay, the R/R, the turn signal relay, various suspect connections, oil change, plugs, valve adjustment...I'm sure I am missing a few things but that more or less sums it up. It was running fine all day and the day before and once I discovered that issue with the neg lead, I thought that would've done it. Battery showed 12.55 when I got it back to the garage an hour after it quit yesterday.

Comment

Do the charging system checks
          Your reg\rect has likely failed causing the battery to drain and the power to the electrical loads to fail.

Comment

hi and welcome. what a shame all newcomers are not like you. search first before posting up questions that have been asked a million times already......

as for your problem if it runs on choke it sounds like a fuel problem. is there gas in the tank, pet cock on? try putting the pet cock on prime and see if it runs ok then.
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards a fuel issue as well seeing that the battery is holding a charge.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like you've been keeping up with the maintenance. Nice. Then I would also consider things like bad gas or possible crud in the fuel tank that has made its way to the carbs and clogged up a vital passage. Give the air intake system a good look. I have found that my airbox likes to slip off the carbs after a year or so, causing air leaks. I have to loosen everything up, re-position, and then tighten everything down. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I lean toward the crud in tank stuff- after long hibernation and a little riding around, carbs can receive a new dose of crud that plugs up idle circuit and even the "choke " feed orifices. Seafoam sometimes works on recent clogs- for $8 a bottle, it's worth a shot.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm going to pull the carbs this weekend and give them a once-over. Thanks again.

Comment

When you measured 12.25V was that with any load on it? I would try a quick test as it is not clear that you are charging.

The first step in the Quick Test is turning the key on which puts enough of a load on the battery to see if it is in good condition. It is normal to drop 1/2 a Volt. If you only have 12.26V it will drop under 11.75 if not much lower.

BTW, the negative ground can not short as it is a ground. The frame and B/W should be close to the same potential; I don't think this has anything to do with your problem.
                      Last edited by posplayr; 05-21-2013, 06:51 AM.

Comment

The 12.55 (no load) I measured was after it sat for about an hour when it cut off on me. I will do the quick test as well to see if I am charging. Hoping for a dirty carb and nothing else, don't really want to deal with a bum stator at this point.

Comment

Cleaned the carbs, petcock, and ran some Seafoam for good measure. Running like a dream. Thanks again everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X