z1 bolt set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z1 bolt set

I am placing an order on Z1 today for some exhaust gaskets and also wanted to get new bolts for my exhaust headers (I am replacing the exhaust soon) while I was at it. Thinking the bolt set they sell would be a good buy, to start replacing bolts as I go through everything.

Does anyone know if the set come with exhaust bolts? I'm guessing not, based on the description...

it does not

Comment

Originally posted by chucksuki View Post
      it does not
      OK, thanks. Any suggestions for bolts then? SS bolts from the hardware store with high temp anti seize? Any specific grade of steel if I go stainless?

I've heard studs mentioned, but also seemed that it required some amount of drilling which I'd like to avoid. Trying to keep it simple

Comment

I did not go with studs, as I could not find any at the time...

so I went with SS bolts instead, and I did use antiseize

Comment

Why would studs require drilling? Pull the old bolts out, put the studs in place and then put antiseize on the area where you'll tighten the nuts against the exhaust clamps.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...elp_17190252-p.

If you want studs tomorrow....Advanced Auto parts has a water pump stud kit in the proper thread.
            I got a 10 pack there last fall. Similar to this. Its one of those "Help" auto repair parts.
            Here is mine: cost about 8 bucks

I am sure there are other local sources for m8x 1.25 studs. No drilling. Just thread right in.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
              http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sho...elp_17190252-p.

If you want studs tomorrow....Advanced Auto parts has a water pump stud kit in the proper thread.
              I got a 10 pack there last fall. Similar to this. Its one of those "Help" auto repair parts.
              Here is mine: cost about 8 bucks

I am sure there are other local sources for m8x 1.25 studs. No drilling. Just thread right in.
              Right on, thanks man... I'm not sure where I got the idea about the drilling. I read too much on here probably picked it up from a thread that doesn't apply to my situation. Just ignore that comment.

Also are new exhaust gaskets something that I can get local at a bike shop or will I need to order those?

Comment

Engine and wrap look good, btw

Comment

Originally posted by exzachtly1 View Post
                  Engine and wrap look good, btw
                  Hey thanks. Its holding up pretty good for the novice job I did.
                  Yes, typically one would want to install new exhaust gaskets. Call State 8 Motorcycle or a few other big Zuki dealers in Akron, they may have them.
                  Otherwise e bay....I think they are about 7 bucks each iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                    Hey thanks. Its holding up pretty good for the novice job I did.
                    Yes, typically one would want to install new exhaust gaskets. Call State 8 Motorcycle or a few other big Zuki dealers in Akron, they may have them.
                    Otherwise e bay....I think they are about 7 bucks each iirc.
                    Ended up ordering gaskets (and new handlebars and grips ) from Z1 just now. For the studs... I am thinking I'll just order some from mcmaster.

These OK? I'm thinking fully threaded SS... with matching nuts of course.

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I am wondering about length too. If the originals are M8x40mm, then I assume I will need to go at least an extra 10MM to get a nut on the end. Should I go to 50mm or 60mm? Just don't want them so long that I have trouble with clearing the down tubes on the frame or something dumb.

Last... what about torque? Do you torque to spec when installing the stud into the header, or when installing the nuts, or both??
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Answered most of my own questions by searching and finding this thread
                      Might actually go with the set screws mentioned in that thread.

Sometimes I forget to search first

However, the torque and length questions still apply... is a 40mm (the longest mcmaster has for set screws) long enough?

Comment

One option is to use Kawasaki studs.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=8mm+Exhaust+Stud+ threaded+on+both+ends.&item=92004-1069

Comment

Nice option on the studs, a little pricey though..... Who am I kidding, my 83 1100ES restore is going to send me to the poor house!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            X